Venting : someone stole one of my sample pack to sell it as his own

“Oops”

10 out of 10 response. Will support creme at a future date

3 Likes

At least it wasn’t “Sorry dude, can I offer you a free sound pack?”

6 Likes

Ryan, you are giving $10000 lawyer advise for free?

5 Likes

Its fine. I copywrited it :grinning:

4 Likes
9 Likes

actually…

7 Likes

You know it might not be such a bad idea to hit up someone like Weaver Beats who covers synth related gossip and what not on YouTube. I doubt that this is the first time this happened, especially if there were demos from Red Means Recording videos.

Also, I don’t understand this scam. A lot of people love the CremaCafe skins. Are the stolen sample packs outselling the things they actually make?

5 Likes

Just out of interest, do people make serious money selling sample packs like these? Or is it just a few bugs here and there? And i don’t mean samples from mars or some other big sites.

4 Likes

23 Likes

I am wondering if samples can be protected like songs, is there an equivalent to BMI /ASCAP/ SACEM / name your PRO , but for samples ?

OK, lets say a man rears a beautiful cat and people come from miles around to see it and he charges a nominal fee to come and view it then another guy comes along, pays the fee, takes a photograph of the cat and sells copies of that picture for a profit is he doing anything wrong? Does the owner of the cat have any right to stop anyone from taking pictures of his cat? Is he actually losing anything from the other mans gain?

I’ve seen someone reply (can’t remember who was it) recently that they made a sample pack and that it made them more money then all of their bandcamp/spotify etc. plays/sales, not sure how many in numbers but looks like you can make good money from it…

EDIT: found it! yeah a sample pack can sell!

6 Likes

If he or she’s running an attraction, the he or she has the right to determine the behavioral requirements of attending that attraction.

Such as the common one of “no phones, no photography”

Exactly, why would you tarnish your reputation like that!?

5 Likes

Interesting. Although we don’t know how much or little the person made with streams and sales before. But i’m enticed to resample, er record my own sample packs in the future.

1 Like

YouTubers on here. Here is your chance for clicks while promoting OPs sample pack.

Ready? Break! :grinning:

2 Likes

I could have added more detail to make a better analogy but I’m quite tired. So lets say people are permitted to take photographs and he is selling pics himself. This other guy takes his own pics and sells them and makes a profit… has the cat owner actually lost anything?

Its not possible to know

If someone went onto your bandcamp, downloaded the songs and released them for sale as their own, would you mind? That is a better analogy.

10 Likes

I wouldn’t be happy about it but I think it would be relatively easy to prove that they were my songs. Samples and sounds is a bit more of a grey area. recording a sound is hardly the same as writing a song. I know there are arguments in favour of copyright but I feel that in the majority of cases more is lost to the public at large than is gained from the enforcement of copyright “law” or statutes and what has happened with youtube is a perfect example of how we have all lost something and only a few have gained but we are all poorer because of it.

1 Like