VCV Rack 2 Studio Edition

How is the experience with miRack? Does it works well on iPhone too?

I used VCV for a while but actually i found it a bit boring in my computer (i’m not a big fan of using my computer to make music cause i work online all day). Having it portable and with less distractions might be better for me.

1 Like

I’ve not used it on my iPhone but I imagine it would be fiddly to work with.

I used a Logi Crayon (until I lost it) on my iPad Pro with miRack and it’s brilliant! It would be a little tricky without a stylus trying to work with the controls but it’s not at all unusable. The stylus is a great investment in general for people making music on the iPad. I do enjoy curling up with my iPad and making noisy, melodic, droning stuff in the rack. Record long passes in AUM and export to an OT ‘Plays Free’ track. Endless atmosphere machine.

3 Likes

Not sure about Softube but VCV also attracts a lot of independent developers and ports of fairly obscure modules.

4 Likes

Thanks!

I’ll think in adding an iPad to my gas list hahaha i’ve been reading a lot of good stuffs about making music on it.

This. Softube might have official ports but they don’t seem to have user or developer buy-in.

If my initial experience with Softube Modular was the same for most users, I can’t see it lasting for much longer.

1 Like

You need only ever go into the Drambo (iOS) thread to fuel that GAS. It is incredibly powerful and well looked after. @echo_opera does lovely, lovely things with Drambo. <3

2 Likes

I’ve tried both.
Softube sounds awesome, but requires a lot of cpu, and UI (I mean browser and rack) is terrible.
VCV is nice, cheaper, has much more modules, but I don’t use it as it doesn’t have a VST version. So the upcoming release looks very interesting.

Also, I really love Softube’s Doepher and Buchla replicas.

It would be nice to have a some virtual modules standard like VST with more modular-like connections rather than basic plugins chaining.

4 Likes

Thanks for all your replies. It seems VCV is the preferred favourite. My machine is also starting to get old, so if the Softube version is CPU hungry, I doubt my computer would handle it. I think I’ll download and try to learn VCV rack instead. Cheers.

1 Like

Prices?

Edit: Found out myself. 99$ at release, later 149$. Community Edition still for free.

Nice!

2 Likes

If your computer doesn’t have GPU, VCV is also pretty much unusable…

2 Likes

Ah good it didnt switch to a subscription model :stuck_out_tongue:

3 Likes

both not really usable on my macbook pro 15inch 2015.
Vcv causes my fans to go crazy. I didn’t use it for 2 years now, maybe it got better. But I think it was a known issue on macs. Something with the graphics.

Softube eats cpu like crazy. The u-he stuff and reaktor blogs is nothing in comparison

3 Likes

on my macbook pro mid 2019 (the mid level model), both VCV and Softube Modular brought the CPU to its knees. I had better chance with MiRack on my iPhone (set aside the small screen) which… made me curious about the next M1 model because it seems to be very promising (especially if the fan stays out of the way when recording!)

VCV is free so worth a check anyway!

1 Like

yes mirack runs like a charm on my ipad

5 Likes

Been waiting for this. Good to see them put a date on release. I had a lot of issues with VCV with my older 2010 MacBook but it’s been fine with my 2017 iMac. Probably some kind of GPU thing.

1 Like

Wait, they haven’t been bought yet…therefore enjoy as long as its lasts.

1 Like

Still surprised by this, but VST version increases the odds, I think.

I never used Softube Modular, but VCV Rack today has trizillion modules. Inspired by the upcoming release of Rack 2, I fired up VCV Rack again, updated and started patching. Had tons of fun with a (for me new) Arp 1601 sequencer clone sequencing a Sid emu, but was quickly reminded why I had stopped using it - those trizillion modules are just an endless black hole…I mean there’s so much cool stuff, including emulations of Mutable Instruments, Erica Synths, Befaco, Instruo, Alright Devices and all sorts of cool stuff - it’s just a black hole…
That’s why I had stopped working with Reaktor before. It’s so much fun, but very distracting and a more closed system doesn’t pull you into this endless hole of new interesting things.

Might be exactly what you’re looking for, though. Just thought I’d mention it.

1 Like

One of the most interesting and unique modules in VCV rack (in my opinion) is the MindMeld ShaperMaster Pro. Takes a while to fully grasp it’s capabilities but it’s incredible. The guys who coded it are absolute dons. This video series helps explain what it can do:

3 Likes

Just got the e-mail today, might have to shell out for the Pro version with the drum modules and interesting room verb.

Having this right in the DAW will make me use it much more for processing external audio!

1 Like