Using the Model:Samples as a synth

Hi,

I’m trying to figure out a specific function for the Model:Samples, and if what I’m trying to do is even possible.

The issue:
I’m trying to play the Model:Samples as a mono synth from an external midi controller. It would great if I could start and loop as a sample by pressing down a key, and also stop the loop when I release the key. I’ve got the first half of that down, but stopping the loop on key release doesn’t seem to work. Does anyone have any ideas for how to accomplish what I’m trying to do?

Hi,
have you finally found a way, I am new to model:sample and want to use my Arturia MiniLab MkII as keyboard ?
Thanks

I do not own a M:S but for that you need a gate mode, so when you release the key it cuts the sound. According to this can not do that with the pads but with a midi keyboard should work.
In the Samples you should try single cycle waveforms as a sound source.

I am using the Model: Cycles as a polysynth via ableton and max4live

Same method should work with a midi round robin box like midihub

1 Like

Have you looked at the Adventure Kid Waveform pack? It sounds like exactly what you’d be looking for in terms of turning the l Samples into a mono synth.

Interesting, thanks

1 Like

Thanks for the responses!

Yeah, here’s a little more detail on what I was trying to do and what I think I found out.

I am using an arturia keystep going into a Retrokits RK002 midi cable to try to get polyphony. This cable has a polymux setting which allows you to spread multiple notes across multiple midi channels, so if you are holding down multiple keys on the arturia, the midi cable will send those to midi channels 1, 2, 3… etc, triggering multiple samples. (For example, if you want to make a mellotron sound, just load up the same mellotron sample across all 6 tracks on the M:S, and you would ideally have a $300 version of a mellotron.) It works really well with the Digitakt, but since the M:S doesn’t seem to have a gate mode or a full ADSR envelope, every time you hit a note on the arturia, the entire sample plays. (I guess this is called one-shot.)

So, as far as I can tell, it doesn’t seem like you can do this with the Keystep/RK002/M:S.

I do not own a M:S myself,but there must be some kind of gate work.

From the manual:
9.6.1 WAV
Waveform sets the LFO waveform. There are seven waveforms: Triangle, Sine, Square, Sawtooth, Envelope, Ramp, and Random.
The Envelope (ENV) waveform makes the LFO behave differently. If you select ENV, the
LFO starts from the beginning of its cycle every time a note is trigged (The RST parameters setting is ignored), run for one cycle and then stop (one-shot). This makes it very useful as an envelope. The waveform is similar to a sawtooth but with an exponential decay.
The LFO SPEED and MUL sets the length of the decay.
The ENV waveform can also be used when you want to have a sound with slower attack:
Make sure [GATE] is on and Fixed velocity (FIX) is OFF. In the LFO menu set WAV: ENV,
MUL: x1, DST: DIST, and DEP: -64.
The LFO SPEED and MUL parameters now set the length of the attack.

1 Like

I do not own a M:S myself,but there must be some kind of gate work.

I hope you’re right, but I can’t seem to find it. The LFO hack seems to help you create a Attack-Release envelope, but as far as I can tell it’s not a way to have an actual gate.

The ENV waveform can also be used when you want to have a sound with slower attack:
Make sure [GATE] is on and Fixed velocity (FIX) is OFF. In the LFO menu set WAV: ENV,
MUL: x1, DST: DIST, and DEP: -64.
The LFO SPEED and MUL parameters now set the length of the attack.

That’s funny. I see the first half of that section in the manual, but the second half isn’t there. There’s nothing about gates in the M:S manual that I can find.

And that other thread seems to be someone wishing that the M:S had a gate feature.

My mistake…:wink:

My mistake…:wink:

:slight_smile: