Using the Delay

I am not convinced I have fully come to grips with the delay, either that or it is not what I expected.

I used to use one of the delays in Logic on the kick once or twice during a bar. This would sometimes produce a funky syncopated effect depending on settings.

I can’t seem to reproduce an audible enough delay with the Rytm, the delayed signal seems to be much more faded that the original. Am I missing something. Here is the section on delay from manual;

IME the delay is highly dependent on loud enough track levels (not the amp vol but the track level). Also, check the distortion menu to make sure that your delay is correctly configured pre- or post distortion. DOV can also boost the delay, but be careful with it! :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

I have no probs with getting the delay to be loud enough. However, plocking the delay params seems a bit quirky if the FX track’s lenght is diff than the master pattern lenght (ie. doesn’t seem to work properly?)

The Rytm delay can definitely be heard if you want it to be heard, but it can be subtle and maybe that’s what you’re hearing.
So for an audible delay, you want to set the VOL level on the delay settings page up high. This is the level of the returned signal. Set it to full to begin with - you can tweak it later to get the exact sound you want.
Then you need to set the Delay Send value for the appropriate track. Select the track and go to the Amp menu (page A-4 in the manual). The DEL slider sets how much of the track sound is sent to the delay channel. So a low setting here will still result in a quiet delay signal, regardless of the VOL setting from above. Just turn up the DEL amount until you get a decent level - about halfway up you should certainly be hearing it.
And you’ll also want to tweak the feedback (FDB) setting back on the delay setting page to set how often the sound repeats - a low setting there might make you think nothing is happening (ditto the TIM setting, which determines the bap between the original sound and the delay).
Finally you can get some extra oomph by putting the delay signal through the analog effects. By default this is on (so the delay does go through the distortion and compression), but you might have either turned it off or picked a patch where it’s off. To make sure it’s on, go to the Distortion settings page (B-3 in the manual) and set DEL to PRE.
While you’re there, you can then fiddle with the DOV (delay overdrive) setting, which should solve all your inaudible delay problems forever - unless it deafens you, which will make them worse, if anything.
Hope that’s of some use. Apologies if a lot of it is stuff you already know - it’s hard to tell exactly why you’re having this problem, so it’s best to cover all bases.

2 Likes

And and obvious one, but make sure you aren’t filtering everything out with your delay filters (ie. hpf cutoff too high, or your lpf cutoff too low)

I think this was my problem.
I believe to allow the full delayed signal to pass through the delay filter without being cut you need;
HPF = 0 and LPF = 127

exactly, although most of the time in real-world scenarious, one uses either a bit or a lot of HPFiltering to obtain the desired balance of “enough-body-but-not-to-muddy”. And LPF to tame the highs/repeats if too bright.

One fun trick might be to plock the HPF to cut varying amounts of lows from the delayline in time / phrase with the music…

I like to have a Scene that set a big feedback and a Performance macro that set the filter from HPF=80/LPF=128 to HPF=-128/LPF=80
This variable band-pass filter brings some crazy effects like a thunder, if you have some reverb on the delay…
With a hand on the tempo knob, you can get quite wild…

1 Like

:pray:
this thread solved my problems and made me find out some new things about Delay in Rytm !
Thx again

1 Like

Lately I have been using delay as a lofi sampler, putting feedback around noon and time to max.
Then move time a bit and come back to max, you get loops with a lot of motion and noise, that only demands a beat to emerge from them.

3 Likes

An lfo on WIDth.

2 Likes

I think if you hold function and turn the time knob all the way to the left and back up you get fixed increments of delay times ?

And if you push and turn the Encoder, you get increments of 4.

1 Like

nice ty for this ! ive just been using my ears this whole time instead of these tricks lol

1 Like