Using the Analog 4 as a Drum Machine

Is this a problem when sequencing on a single track or across all 4 tracks? Do you have the envelopes and oscillators set to retrigger? Are you p-locking very different sound types on a single track (i.e. a kick and hi hat)?

I’ve found that some kick drums don’t retrigger to my liking when placed on the same track as a hi hat or snares etc.

Yeah, I agree, some kicks don’t pair well with hi-hats on the same track. I usually have hats and snares on one track and kicks and other percussive elements on one track, but I use other synths for melody etc. When I do make full compositions with the A4 it takes a little planning and sound design to make sure everything works well together when programing all the drums on one track.
I’ve never had an issue with the volume of the hits changing, I do have sounds cutting off other sounds, sometimes it works, other times I have to tweak the sound to my liking.

5 Likes

I have an A4 and Rytm and honestly prefer the sound of the drums you can get out of the A4, especially the hats and kicks. You can even get wild FM drum sounds out of it that give the Machinedrum a run for its money.

I also love having the macro performance page for live tweaking drum sounds, it’s sort of like the CTL-8P machine on the Machinedrum. I wish the Rytm had an option to do that in addition to using the aftertouch pads. Just personal preference but I prefer to tweak drums with knobs to pads and I like being able to tweak the parameters of multiple machines at the same time.

Druma is an essential addon to the A4 in my opinion, as is Kimura Taro’s excellent FM and Mod drum packs.

6 Likes

Seconding this!

Druma sounds awesome!

Is there a shortcut for saving sounds faster? I’d be more into tweaking drums on A4 without all the hullabaloo you have to go through just to update a preset.

1 Like

That might be the way to go, I just like finger drumming a lot!

1 Like

Here’s another A4 on drum duties… I added a few melodic elements in the 2 composition in the video.

30 Likes

Thats really good ! The A4 is an amazing drum machine imo.

1 Like

Nice work with your A4. Just subscribe to your YTchannel.
I like the percs you created and the rythm you bring out of them.
Cool side of A4.

1 Like

Here’s some more A4 in drum machine mode… Stay creative yall!

36 Likes

Cool work here. Love the combo sound/pattern that match very well.
Ector would have said “nice”.

2 Likes

So good.

It can work but I usually use my Octatrack since have more options. Kick, clap, snare and hi hats are my four essential percussion voices but having more to add like cymbals and maracas fill out the beats. I like the Rytm a lot. Knowing what I now know, I would easily choose a Rytm over any other Elektron box for beat making. I like the bass and pad sounds a lot on the Analog 4 and cv control is great with modular synths.

2 Likes

Loved your sound design and programming.

1 Like

Some of the most original and inspiring sounds I’ve heard come from the A4, nice work!

2 Likes

Amazing work, @Voltagectrlr! You inspired my to explore the A4’s arpeggiator :smiley:

31 Likes

This is awesome! Great sound design and rhythm.
This inspired me to start experimenting with the performance mode!

Thank you very much.

5 Likes

Those are some amazing sounds conjured up there, sick af :clap:

Nice track …

Do you put any post processing on your stuff like compressor / distortion?

EDIT: nvm, I see that you use a DAW for FX :+1:

1 Like

Thank you!

@Voltagectrlr I highly recommend playing around with the performance macros. They feel a bit like 10 tiny Octatrack scenes that can be applied in parallel. You can tie one or more macro to the perf macro knob (QPER + TRIGS 1-10) so you can flip through parameter pages and tweak stuff while playing the performance macros.

@Roger Nice, you saw it. I use FL Studio as a glorified tape recorder with a bunch of plugins on the master channel. The plugin chain has changed a lot, but I’ve recently gone back to one of my older templates consisting of:
MJUC - a compressor I use as much for its color as for its compression. It does something to the lows that just speaks to me.
Phoenix - the paid version of the free SGA1566 preamp plugin. I used it before I got the Analog Heat, and went back to it after I sold the Heat. I’ve gotten so familiar with it that I’m getting the color I want out of it with very little effort.
Maximus - a mulitband expander that I use as my EQ. Often used to boost the bass and highs, but for this track the bass didn’t need any boosting.
ToTape6 - a free tape sim that I’ve been using for a couple of years now. I use it as my limiter. It starts crunching and distorting once you push it hard enough, and that’s how I can tell my track is loud enough without necessarily looking at a loudness meter. (although I still have a loudness meter just to be sure).

5 Likes

Love the full use of performance macros here. And the sweet Reload Kit move near the end!

2 Likes