Using Tape Machines

Just picked one up, as an easy entry into this, let’s see how it is.

Just poping up here as I did some experiment yesterday with my Studer G36.
I have finished an ambient album and I wanted to check how it would sound recorded to tape.
Even tho the G36 is a very decent tape recorder and it has been checked by a friend who know what he is doing, it’s hell old (60’s, all tube inside) and the tape I have is blasted. But I gave it a try anyway.
Result ?
It’s pretty fun as I feel it made the record a bit more “alive” than it was by adding that back layer of dusty noise, some weird artifacts and even some “ghost” sounds from previous recording on this same tape.
I’m probably going to keep that version of the master and release it like this as the original version feels to clean to me now hahaha.

Anyway it was fun ! Now I’d move to find some brand new tape to try and see the difference.

4 Likes

The technical term is “aux send”. Many consumer mixers label a “fx send” but it’s a different way to label a aux send, due to on board effects. Many more mixers don’t have “fx send” but instead have aux send (same thing).

Bumping this to the top to ask the question - who here uses reel to reel as part of their sound design process?