Using syntakt as main audio interface with Ableton

So I’m slimming down , I’ve sold all my eurorack and most of my synths .
Now I just have Syntakt and Peak , and a Soundcraft Mtk 12 which I’m thinking about selling and just using Syntakt ?

Any help / thoughts appreciated :pray:

Others may have more in depth thoughts on this. However, I’ve brought Digitakt, Digitone, and Syntakt with me on trips with a MBP, and they work flawlessly in this regard. Couldn’t be easier. They also sound quite good.

Of course there are some limitations in regards to audio format and channel count, but I haven’t found this to be even a small issue.

It’s an excellent way to get your Elektron audio into your software as well, especially if you don’t need Overbridge.

It takes no effort to give it a quick try either. Just plug it in and go.

2 Likes

It was my idea to use DN as the main audio interface as well, however I can not figure out how to get audio back out of ableton and into other hardware gear and effects (and rerecord it through the DN’s inputs)

I wrote more on that here but I haven’t received any replies yet

If this can be done in some way, I believe what you are describing would be a great solution overall, unless you do not need to process audio externally

I used to use a MOTU UL Mk3 as audio interface. I am now using my Analog Heat Mk2 as audio interface as it is at the end of my audio chain. Works flawlessly as such.
In the end I am nearly never multitracking so a stereo pair out is all I need.
Prior to using the AH Mk2 I also used the DT as a sound interface :slight_smile:

Thanks for the replies.

I’m going to trial it for a few months .

I like the small footprint and haven’t noticed any audible differences

Ive been using my syntakt as my audio interface since i bought it. No complaints apart from every now and then it disconnects and i need to go into preferences to select it again. I have it connected to a hub so maybe thats the cause

1 Like

What i found is that the conversion is not that great in elektron boxes, but it might be just me. I went through the slimming of my setup last year. Just kept the syntakt, op-1 field and that’s basically all i use in conjunction with the mac or the ipad. I also kept the og op-1 and op-z for emotional and possible classic value. But if i record my gear through my motu m2 interface, at least to my heart and ears it sounds much punchier an better overall then what i hear when recording through the syntakt. I used to have ah mk2, digitone and digitakt and i would say it’s the same same. Mtk 12 i also had and it was great, but the thing is an elephant, way to big.

3 Likes

Just a question on this, if you use syntakt with iPad does it show as 4 inputs into AUM ie 2 inputs for syntakt and 2 inputs for the op-1 or does it sum the syntakt with the op-1 and therefore show as just one stereo input to AUM, if that makes sense

1 Like

Assuming you don’t use the distortion or filter from the Syntakt do the Digitakt and Digitone sound the same as audio interfaces? Or will the synth your running through the Syntakt pick up some analog goodness regardless, simply because its an analog device? Just curious.