Using Song Mode pattern mutes with 2 digis?

Is it possible to use Song Mode’s (the digis’ version) pattern mutes to co-ordinate mutes on an external digi box?

I have a Digitone and Syntakt synchronized via MIDI, with the ST running Song Mode and sending program changes, transport, and clock. This is so close to being a dream setup, but there’s a problem: when I want to sequence pattern mutes, it only works on the ST, not the external DN.

I’ve been using a workaround, which entails sequencing mutes as pattern changes. I know some people like working this way, but I find it really stultifying for live performance because parameter changes don’t persist across pattern changes. You can find yourself moved to sweep a filter on a track but then be caught by the pattern change and have the sound clumsily jerked back to its sequenced frequency position.

Ivar’s very helpful video on this topic demonstrates how to send global mutes. But in Song Mode, the Song Mode pattern mutes don’t send mutes via MIDI.

Elektron seems to have confirmed that putting mutes in INT+EXT mode only applies to Global Mutes and hasn’t classified it as a bug.

I’m tempted to look into sending MIDI CC messages, but that’s going to end up being pretty fiddly to setup for every new track.

Anyone else having trouble getting two Digi’s pattern mutes synchronized? This would make Song Mode a lot more capable.

Hmmm, I’m not entirely sure from this what your setup is, but personally I run song mode on both devices (a Digitakt and Syntakt). I think a less appealing other option would be to sequence the Digitone from 4 Syntakt MIDI tracks?

Sending CC pattern mutes definitely works for some applications (I’ve used it for sampling ST into DT), but I think it’d be a lot
more tedious for your purposes than running song mode on both devices.

2 Likes