Using multiple midi tracks to control one synth?

Is it possible to use all four midi tracks of DN to control other synth via midi? F.e I want to send different note values/envelope/filter settings etc from every track on DN to my Prophet Rev2, would that be possible?

Of course you can.
Just set them all to the same MIDI channel and use different CC.

3 Likes

I like to sequence my mb33 this way. It’s possible and fun too :wink:

It’s a good trick to generate new ideas actually. I used to send 8 different midi tracks roughly in the same key with my mmt8 to one mono synth, it tries to play them all, then you just mute them in and out until you come across a combination you like, Also as the synth tries to play them it creates interesting glitches on the synth.

1 Like

I have 8 digitakt channels controlling Mopho desktop and x4 synths, 4 midi tracks each.

I set the 4 tracks to control CC’s for amp, filter, env 3 and osc as separate pages and keep that consistent across projects to build muscle memory

How would I use different CC’s if I want to control same destinations (filter, amp envelope) in a different way with each track? I tried setting it up today, and I set up the synth receiving MIDI from DN to receive it on MIDI channel 5, then I set up DN’s MIDI track 1 to send data to MIDI channel 5, and MIDI track 2 to send data to MIDI channel 6. It worked as I intended for the first two of DN’s MIDI tracks (I could choose the same CC values being controlled on both of them, and sent different data from each track, i.e one was a “pad track”, long amp release/closed filter and the second one was a “lead”, short amp release/open filter). But then I could get any sound out of DN’s track 3, which I set to MIDI track 7. The only way to get any sound out of it was to set it to 5 or 6, which made it interfere with the previous tracks.

Hope this description is possible to understand :confused:

I try to set it up with Prophet Rev2, so I guess it should be pretty similar MIDI-architecture wise to Mopho.

If you set amp, filter and env3 as separate pages, then how are you able to send 4 different midi tracks to your synth? I tried setting it up, and I managed to do it with two of the DN’s midi tracks only for some reason I don’t quite get.

Not sure I get it right. First, what’s your destination synth?
Thing is, not all synths can receive so bald on different midi channels.
Novation Peak for instance can take only one MIDI channel, it’s monotimbral.
Sequential Rev2 or Micromonsta can take 2 MIDI channels, they are bitimbral.
Digitone can take 4 channels, as a destination.
Blofeld or Virus can take even more.

Now for this to work you have to set your destination synth to receive on e.g. 4 different channels, then you set your Digitone MIDI tracks to send notes to such channels, then you’ll be able to send CCs on each track.

1 Like

I have mopho on midi ch8 and x4 on midi ch9

On the digitakt (8 midi tracks total) I set midi tracks 1-4 to send to midi ch8 and tracks 5-8 to send to midi ch 9

On the CC assignment page for DT track 1 i set up filter controls like this image

Then on DT track 2 CC assignment page I did similar but for the amp controls, DT track 3 for env3 controls, then DT track 4 for osc

DN only has 4 midi tracks but you should be able to set up a good template for your most modulated parameters

Yup, the synth I’m controlling with my DN is Rev2, so it being bitimbral explains why I managed to do it with two tracks only. I forgot about this, but it makes perfect sense. Thanks a ton!

1 Like

I think I get it know. Thanks for the reply!

1 Like