Using Model:Samples as master Clock

Hallo dear friends and fellow Electronauts. I seem to be uicapable of having my dear Model:Samples functioning as a master clock. I’d like to connect my Korg Minilogue Xd and Mother 32 to it and have the Model to give the tempo to the all set up. Any of you used it as a Master clock? Thanks a bunch in advance.

Hi @Peppe3000 and welcome.

It’s a bit hard to suggest anything without knowing what you’ve tried already. For example, in model:samples there’s a section for configuring midi, (config is the ‘spanner’ or ‘wrench’ button) which probably covers most of the things you may need to change on the M:S side of things, in particular I’m fairly sure there’s something about filtering wether clock and transport midi commands go out. There must be similar things on the Minilogue XD and the Mother 32.

What have you tried already ?

1 Like

Hallo Bibenu and thanks for the greetings.
I’m going to tell you what I can do. Basically I can make the Model work with external clock, in other words clock from Korg Xd or Mother 32 works great but not the other way around. I never successfully send the clock out from the Samples to the other instruments I have. Hope is clear what I mean.

Welcome to the forum!

Let’s take the example of the M:S and the Minilogue XD.

Connect the MIDI Out port of the M:S to the MIDI In port of the MXD. You will need to use Elektron’s MIDI adaptor that is supplied with the M:S.

On the M:S:

In the CONFIG > MIDI > PORTS menu, set OUT TO to “MID”
In the CONFIG > MIDI > SYNC menu, set CLK OUT to “On”.

edit to add, as pointed out by @markab below:
In the CONFIG > MIDI > PORTS menu, set OUT/THRU to “OUT”.

On the MXD:

In the GLOBAL EDIT mode,

• set MIDI Route to “USB+MIDI”,
  • set Clock Source to “Auto (MIDI)”,
  • set En Rx Transport to “On”.

Give it a try and let us know whether it works.

Hallo Peter, already done and for some obscure reason is not working (changed midi cables etc.) it works flawlessly the other way around thought. No idea why! Such a pity.

In the MIDI->PORTS settings have you set OUT/THRU to OUT?

1 Like

Hallo Mark, yes! I managed though with the Korg, the Mother not yet!