Using LFO Designer to play scales?

I have a sample that is f# minor. I want to be able to have the LFO designer play it in a minor scale. Can anyone help me figure out the proportion of LFO steps to semitones? Is it even possible?

You should be able to map the LFO to the Pitch (PTCH) param. The manual says integer values of PTCH represent semitones.

1 Like

Yes, I know that. What I’m asking is that since the LFO designer goes -128 to 127, what are the steps for each tone?

You can use the arp function to enforce a scale to the notes even if arp is otherwise not doing anything. So enable scale to f# minor in the arp section and experiment with the lfo values?

But the OP is using samples not midi (which is where scale setting lives).

It’s a good question which I don’t have the answer to. Do you have a tuner? If so, maybe loading a sine wave and manually taking some measurements could help?

1 Like

Route the MIDI out cable to the in then?

2 Likes

This is interesting, it would be like having arp on the audio side without the loopback. Seems doable with some calculations…

I do not have my OT with me to test it. But I do that quite often. Its one the best OT tips. Especially since you have one LFO designer per track, you can use this to design up to 8 sequences.

If i remember correctly if the LFO depth is 127, then 1 semitone = 5 LFO step.
You can check it easily : try to use the LFO to transpose your melody by one octave. Then disable the LFO, change the pitch to +12 semitone and check that it gives the same result.

6 Likes

Not to much error ? Tried a lot of time but C5 to C6 only range look difficult to use no ?

Hi, thanks for the info! I did some test and could confirm that it is indeed 1 semitone every 5 LFO increments when DEP is set to 127, and would work within the range -60 to +60. :slight_smile:

4 Likes

I can’t wait to try this on a pickup loop now, or a flex assigned to the same buffer, while playing into it notes that will harmonize accordingly!

1 Like

So, am I understanding this right? Using the LFO with a max depth, you can pitch shift a sample more than +/- one octave that you can achieve with just the PTCH parameter on its own?

No, it’s still just the same 2 octaves total since you’re controlling the PITCH wheel in the Playback window.

1 Like

Thanks for clarifying. I thought that might have been a little too good to be true. Just a different way of controlling PTCH. I got it now.

1 Like