Using iPad in DAWless setup as 'effects pedal' help

Hello,

I’d like to use my iPad as a send ‘effects pedal’ for all my devices from my Bluebox Mixer. At them moment I just have the iPad plugged into the Digitone’s USB using the lightning USB adapter and AUM with Eventide’s Reverb and Shimmer apps, it’s great. I now want some more flexibility and tey and send any device to it I choose from the Bluebox mixer. I did this with the Microcosm when I had one.

I was thinking of buying a small cheapr USB audio interface like the Focusrite Scarlett Solo 3rd (not 4th) and plugging the iPad into that via the USB port then the Focusrites Ins and Outs to the Bluebox mixer and do the routing.

Would that Audio Interface do the job do you think?

It would work but I don’t know what the round trip latency would be like on that Focusrite interface. I use MOTUs (M6 and Ultralite MK5) and sometimes an Allen and Heath PX5. All of those devices have a blazing fast RTL.

Do some research on the interface before pulling the trigger. I’d also recommend an interface with its own power supply. Otherwise, you’ll be drawing power from your iPad for it.

There are also some threads already for iPad audio interface suggestions:

I’m sure there’s others if you use the search feature.

3 Likes

Ah thanks, I’m glad I posted, having it’s on power source sounds like a must, I don’t think the Focusrite has that.

You could dongle up the interface and a power source to the iPad.

I’ve had issues with this before. Hence the recommendation for an interface with its own power supply. I had bought a MOTU M4 and it was a pain in the ass getting power to the iPad. Some times, it would seem like the M4 wouldn’t go into Class Compliant mode unless it was directly connected to the iPad. I tried a power breakout dongle and 3 different USB hubs. Same issue every time. I had also tried another bus powered interface and had similar problems. For me, it’s not worth the hassle to use bus powered interfaces when also wanting to charge/power the iPad itself.

I have had really good success and stability from the devices that I’ve mentioned above. They’re certainly not the only options. They’re the ones that have worked very well for me.

1 Like

The Scarlett Solo is mono. I think you want the 2i2 for stereo. I have the 3rd gen and hooked it up to my iPhone using a camera connector (the one with an additional power in) the other day to use it for FX. It worked fine.

1 Like

it has 2 inputs that on paper can be stereo but 1 mic xlr 1 line trs and it’s both inconvenient and they are different in sound, so yeah it’s not very good for stereo input, the RTL nothing to write home about too, as well as the headphones out is weak, when I switched from Solo 3rd gen to Ultralite mk5 I was amazed how weak it was for my 250ohm headphones.
would not recommend, better to spend a bit more on 2i2 or motu m4/6 or something else.

by the way, I couldn’t remember if the Solo is class compliant and from the manual it’s not clear as well, they only mention macOS which is weird:

Third Generation Scarlett interfaces are class compliant on macOS: this means they are plug-and-play, so no need to install a driver if you are a Mac user.

1 Like

This is what I needed to here, sounds like a good choice and not expensive either.

1 Like

Btw thanks for your help the other week on the iPad question I had and huge gaps in knowledge. It’s great way to use an old iPad and save money on buying a chain of pedals and save on space and wires. Currently I was just using it with the Digitone and it’s USB port and swapping it to the Digitone etc for extra effects, but had no option for the Peak. The Peak has a amazing reverb (as does the DT and DN) though, but having an option to use the effects on the iPad as a send effect will give me flexibility. The shimmer effects are really nice for ambient too and to relax too :slight_smile:

The only issue I have is I also like plugging the iPad into the Hapax to sequence the Pure Acid synth on it, but I can’t have it all and will have to just move it and lose the effects at that time. Talking of time I need more time to use my gear…:slight_smile:

1 Like

You can possibly do more if you spend more on equipment (e.g a USB MIDI interface) but there is no need to rush into that. With a repurposed iPad and a few $$ spent on apps you have a whole new dimension to explore.

Delay and reverb are the mainstays but there are some other interesting effects (tape models, glitch and distortion, textures) you might look at.

You can plug as many USB midi devices into the iPad as you like—you just need a regular usb hub. They will work fine alongside the Digitone-as-audio-interface. Just plug the DN into the same USB hub.

2 Likes

Now that’s interesting, so I could plug in the midi hub and connect my DT, DN and Hapax and the iPad will treat them all as separate devices?

Could I then use the iPad to add effects to the Digitone and not the Digitakt, but also use a synth on the iPad and sequence from the Hapax?

Only one audio device at a time (whichever one you plug in last takes over), but as many MIDI devices as you want.

The exception is Logic Pro for iPad, which lets you specify different audio devices for input and output. In this case, the iPad’s own speakers count as a device.

Edit: a more direct answer to your question is “yes”