Using Headphone out as a separate stereo output? giving a total of 3 stereo outs or 6 mono?

Unless Elektron engineers or electrical engineer folks who have opened, examined, and hacked the OT chime in, this is a type of inquiry that no one else is going to know the answer to with facts, and not speculations.

:slight_smile:

1 Like

Probably need a real expert opinion on this but I think the answer is no, pretty sure that from what I’ve read the headphone out acts like a dj mixer, allowing any mix of main and cue, but that it’s not isolated from the audio circuit in any meaningful way to allow it the ability to completely break out from what’s playing on the main and cue.

@lowph @sezare56 any octaheroes have an answer?

2 Likes

You can’t do anything besides what it lets you do. The headphones can mix of the main outs and the cue outs. No more, no less. That’s more than all the other Elektron boxes!

3 Likes

In the mixer menu you can set the mix between main mix and cue signals to be sent to the headphones. I probably didn’t phrase that very clearly, so here’s a screenshot of the manual:

I like to exclude the cue from headphones when I use the cue as an aux send for effects. But I’ve also used the headphone output as yet another stereo “send” to a different FX chain, but the limitation is that it will always be the full mix (or cue, or full mix plus cue).

I don’t think a firmware update could allow any more separation than that. Pretty sure that’s physically wired that way, but I haven’t opened up my OT.

3 Likes

This is what I was thinking, limitation of the physical routing. Good question though.

So by the sounds of it its limited by the wiring and therefore only possible with a physical hack + some extra software I imagine.

Maybe someone is balls enough to try.

Would need tampering with the firmware, even if there’s no physical limitation. I don’t know where the HP signal is tapped, but there’s still the software side. We’d need some way of routing tracks to it.

Edit; Depending on where the signal is tapped, it might be possible to physically route tracks using 8 buttons functioning as on/off switches, but my guess is the signal is tapped after the tracks are mixed and at that point of hacking I’d just get a small mixer with aux sends.

1 Like

If its just firmware then its possible, but only if your one of the technicians that know the OT in-depth.
If OB is not possible and Elektron read this then make the Mkiii (or the next upgrade) be able to turn the headphone into separate output or the inputs into outputs, that would be pretty neat, I’m sure thats more doable with internal routing and would solve the problem.

Edit; I agree that the headphone out is most likely after and not possible to reroute

Mk3 with 8 outs, 4 ins and normal headphone out pls. :blush:

1 Like

This topic is just reinforcing my love for the bus system on Gotharman’s Little Deformer. I love flexible routing :))

Even though you can’t send different tracks to headphones, it’s still really easy to selectively sample different pieces of audio and send them out the cues. Even though we don’t have a big bus system on the OT, the 8 buffers are effectively a modular bus if you use them that way… You just have to get creative

1 Like

Moving on from the headphones and now to the inputs.

Think about it this way.
If each track can listen to any of the other tracks or inputs then surely the inputs can “listen” to any one of the tracks and therefore be an output.
Its then only an internal routing problem and not necessarily a wiring problem.

Maybe i’m just dreaming but it sounds physically possible?

No, I don’t think it works that way :wink:

Haha yeah I’m sure your right.

Maybe I should focus on using the OT as intended and embrace its limitations :ok_hand:
P.s little derformer looks wicked

2 Likes

It’s fun to abuse it, and use it beyond what it was intended for! Just have to settle for the functionality it’s capable of

A person’s enthusiasm for modifying engineered systems is inversely proportional to the complexity of the engineered systems they have modified successfully.

3 Likes

Strange. I had a thought the balanced outs of the MK2 could be split. 4 channels would have 2 mono bounced mixes each. Hard left/right. Like the old 4 track cassette days. Using 4 Y cables I was thinking I could get a lot out of my OT. I forgot about that until this thread. It’s fun to think about things like that :slight_smile:

Often i mix my ugly music coming from my mixer with another mixer that even has motor faders.
That enables me to have control of my ugly mix to the fullest.
Then i pretend to smile and stare stoic into the tiny display, give up and look around the room and find my controller and then suddenly all sounds good. Very strange.
PS: did you know that most venues let away the right channel below 290hz even before the signal is amplified to punch the speakers out of their walls. That is big speakers in large rooms dont like stereo bass because it generates more problems than it sounds good. Hint hint.

Apparently some venues run everything mono, some have mono bass, some rigs are stereo, seems to vary a lot.

That’s not how it works, but you can have feedback inside the OT by playing a recorder buffer and feeding the signal back into itself. You can even pitch shift that, use multiple tracks for up/down shift…
There’s so much you can do with the OT…

Headphones mix Main and Cue outputs, hardware. With an hardware mod, you could eventally send inputs AB/CD to headphones, but it doesn’t seem very useful.

If there was a firmware possibility, they’d have to rewrite a lot of things. Not a chance either.

I had a pedal hooked up to headphone out for a few months now. I’ve just removed it and put it back into the chain that’s connected to my cue outs.

While in theory, it’s nice to have that additional pedal that can be controlled by headphone volume, in practice it wasn’t that useful. I thought Gen Loss would be good for that, since it’s more of an end of chain effect for me. But I still missed the control over which track to send to it.