Using External Drum Pads as Trigger for AR

The AR’s track(s) can be muted using MIDI CC 94.

You can set the SPD-SX’s CONTROL 1 and CONTROL 2 knobs to transmit MIDI CC messages in its SETUP > MIDI > CTRL menu, described on page 68 of the manual.

1 Like

Hi NICOCOLES. Try the following settings:

AR
Midi Config -> Sync -> Transport Receive (✓)
Port Config -> Input From -> Midi USB / Midi
Port Config -> Pad Dest -> Int + Ext
Port Config -> Receive Notes (✓)
Channels -> Auto Channel: 14
Channels -> Prog CH In CH: Auto

SPD-SX
MENU -> Setup -> Midi -> Global CH: 14
MENU -> Setup -> Midi -> Midi Sync: Auto
MENU -> Setup -> Midi -> USB-Midi I/F: Off
MENU -> Kit -> Midi -> Note: 0=BD, 1=SD, 2=RS, 3=CP … (f.e.: Pad 1=BD, Pad 2= SD, Pad 3=CH …)
MENU -> Kit -> Midi -> Gate: 0.1 s (on every Pad)
MENU -> Setup -> Pad Sens: adjust threshold and sensitivity to taste

I hope this works for you.

1 Like

Hello Internet Brother,
Thank you so much for taking the time to write everything down.
I’m able to control the AR with the SPD-SX. The only thing is that I’m not able to mute and unmute the AR. One more time, thank you so much.

1 Like

If anyone is interested, another choice I use is the DrumKat DK10.

It’s 10 pads with optional high hat and kick trigger. Works pretty great and cheaper than a SPD/SPD-SX. DK10 is equipped with 4 different sensitivity settings, full control over which pad is what MIDI channel/#, and looks great with the grey RTYM Mkii.

Only issue I have, if someone can help with this would be awesome, is occasionally when I’m playing - one pad will trigger the sample again once after it’s hit. This results in 2 hits after I only hit the pad once. Not sure why. And, when I then tap the pad on the Rytm, the problem stops! Happens on any trig/sound/sample, but only on a single trig at a time, and only occasionally. Very strange. Any help would be awesome!

Interesting. I’ve been curious about those. They’re way cheaper than most of the competition in the used market (like 1/5 the price of a used spd-sx). Sure that’s because it doesn’t have sounds/ samples onboard but that’s not an issue for me. Seems like it’s closest competition would be the 2nd octapad (pad-80).
Does it feel good? Nice squish to rebound ratio? Responsive enough for rolls?

Yeah awesome for rolls! Very responsive. It’s almost exactly the texture and feel of my practice drum pad.

Only problem is the second hit thing that I mentioned earlier- not sure if it’s because I’m routing the midi through my MC6 or if it’s a just a glitch.

Anyway I often now find myself just jamming with the Rytm instead of sequencing. So fun.

1 Like

Cool. Thanks. That pretty much bumps it up to the top of my list. I’m a drummer and the rytm really feels like it would be fun to play with sticks.
I might poke around online soon to see if anyone else has mentioned the double trigger problem you’re having. If I find anything I’ll post it here.
It’s only happening with one of the dk10 pads? Off the top of my head, it could be a loose piezo inside that sometimes moves a little after its corresponding pad it hit. Have you tried it with any other gear to eliminate the rytm as the source of the problem?

Page 87 of this manual describes dealing with double triggering by adjusting the pad’s headroom and then redoing the “training” procedure.
I think this will help with your problem.

Also, my guess about a loose piezo trigger is non-applicable. It turns out that unlike many midi drum pads (octapad for example) the drumkat doesn’t use discrete individual piezos. Instead it used one multi trigger sensor pad that handles all of the pads. A replacement costs more than the entire unit does on the used market. Fortunately it doesn’t sound like that’s your problem.

1 Like

It happens with any pad (i think).

I overlooked that “training” procedure. I bet that’s it. I’ll try that fix in the next few days and post back here if it works. Even with that issue the DK 10 is worth it IMO.

Thanks for the help

No problem. I just did a quick google search. I hope it works. Not being very familiar with the dk10 I don’t know for sure but I’ll be curious to find out.