Using External Drum Pads as Trigger for AR

What is the best (and easiest to setup) PADS for triggering RYTM sounds?

(Having some trouble doing rolls and things. Would love bigger PADS like Akai.)

I want abolutley nothing fancy. Just a clone of the Pads on my AR but external and close to zero latency. For sounds 1-12 only.

I use a Vestax Pad One. It’s not a perfect controller, but it’s robust, has 12 pads and has a MIDI DIN out. I don’t notice any latency. Pads are quite small but still more useable to do rolls that the ones on the Rytm.

What about a used MPD ?
It seems to be rather cheap…

Yes exactly what i was thinking.
So it needs to be MIDI output correct?
I assume a USB only controller would not work into RYTM?

I think you need a piece in-between, either an iConnectMIDI4/Kenton MIDI hub, or even Inspektor Gadget/Miniman’s CerebelUSB shoul do the trick.
Or you just use your computer…

1 Like

I dont think so.

Based on what I am reading from the manual i can trigger the RYTM with any MIDI input as long as I set it up from CC35-CC47 for the 12 PADS.

So i can go direct from MPD to RYTM using MIDI cable as long as I get an MPD with MIDI output and can transmit those CC.

I tried to trigger my Analog Rytm with the Roland SPD-SX Drum Pad via Midi so I can play the AR live like a Drum Kit. Although it works most of the time, some of the strokes still don’t trigger the AR. As a stand alone unit, the SPD-SX triggers Samples very well, so I think it has something to do with midi interaction. Does anybody have an idea how to fix that problem?

Any pad controller will do as long as you can map the pads to send midi notes 0-11. I suppose its limited to din midi tho.

Korg padkontrol would be a solid recommendation, since they’re quite cheap and you can also pull off “playing sampled chops” tricks with them. But I suppose just about anything will work.

Thank you for your reply tsutek. I play the SPD-SX with sticks and external a kick drum pedal. I am a Drummer and want to trigger the AR in that way during live gigs. So the padcontrol is no option for me.
I mapped the SPD pads to the notes of the AR and it works most of the time. But sometimes it does not trigger very solid and skips some of the notes. Maybe it has something to do with the Midi adjustments of the AR.

1 Like

Do you see any kind of pattern as to which hit and miss? How about the strength, or velocity?

I’m curious because I too am a drummer and would love to hook up a drum pad; the pads just aren’t doing it. That Roland should not be skipping. I’m curious if the bad pads is actually due to bad midi sensitivity.

Sounds like a good companion for the RYTM!
Does the toggle setting let you use it the same as the Rytm scene pads etc…?

EDIT: that can’t be it tho as no one has had an issue with other pad-based controls.
It’s weird. Maybe some different configurations in the global menu?

xidnpnlss wrote
[i]Do you see any kind of pattern as to which hit and miss? How about the strength, or velocity?

I’m curious because I too am a drummer and would love to hook up a drum pad; the pads just aren’t doing it. That Roland should not be skipping. I’m curious if the bad pads is actually due to bad midi sensitivity.[/i]

EDIT: that can’t be it tho as no one has had an issue with other pad-based controls.
It’s weird. Maybe some different configurations in the global menu?

I tried alot of different midi and pad settings but still have these problems. It’s a shame because that combination plus my Octatrack would be the perfect live rig.

I just bought the Akai MPD 226 for the same reasons. Works like a charm. Solid MPC Pads and a couple of Faders/Knobs that i assigned to the Performance Mode. Also: Note Repeat is triggered by the Rytm Tempo.

1 Like

Hey Arve.

I am trying to map my spd-s (no x) to the AR now…

Here is my problem: Each track or “voice” of the Rytm is connected to a different Midi channel. The spd-s only plays through one selected midi channel at a time, so I can’t understand how to play the different “tracks/voices” simultaneously on the Rytm with the Spd-s.

I can only play one channel at a time, i.e. All the pads on the spd-s play through midi channel 1 into the rytm’s midi channel 1 so all i hear is kick (kick is set to channel one). If change the Midi channel on the Spd-s to channel 2, all I hear is snare drum from all the pads, and so on.

I can’t separate the pads onto different channels, and why should i?? I can do that easily with the MachineDrum.

Is it possible to have different # notes (from the spd-s pads) play different tracks on the rytm?

Any help or advise greatly appreciated !

Use the 12 lowest MIDI notes (on any channel). See pages 15-16 of the manual.

Is it possible to have different # notes (from the spd-s pads) play different tracks on the rytm?

I don’t know the SPD-S but in the SPD-SX you can assign different Midi notes to each pad. 0=BD, 1=SD, 3=RS/CP and so on.
By the way, I solved the triggering problem. There is a gate option in the pad menus of the Roland device which I had to set to max. Now it works perfect. Playing the AR like a drum kit is so much fun!

2 Likes

I’ve been able to get my Yamaha DTX-MULTI 12 to trigger the AR. One pad per voice just using the 12 lowest MIDI notes.

how do you get it to play the kick?
i played with it but couldn’t get below c#-2, and the kick is hardwired to c-2
thanks!

Got it! Assigned the midi 01-12 on the spd-s = Rytm. Tweaked the threshold on the spd-s trigger sensitivity. Perfect. It work like a dream.

3 Likes