Using Digitakt with Korg Minilogue XD as controller

The Digitakt is my core MIDI controller. Until yesterday I used a Keystep as a MIDI controller. Superb combo. Then I thought add an extra synth (Korg Minilogue XD) and use it as the controller as well. Brilliant idea! But maybe not. With the Keystep set to MIDI channel 14 I was able to control and play all MIDI sources by simply selecting tracks 9-13 (I have 5 external MIDI synths - split with a “Banana” - great MIDI splitter) on the Digitakt.

Now the Korg Minilogue XD has a setting “Local SW” that stops playback locally but allows control of external MIDI sources. When turned ON it simultaneously plays the Minilogue and external MIDI sources. Not good (unless I turn off the volume of the Korg - not ideal). When turned off it plays the MIDI sources selected by the Digitakt track, except the Korg which is to Auto-Channel MIDI 14. Anybody any ideas of a workaround?

1 Like

Set Minilogue XD (local off = on) to transmit midi on DTs auto channel and route midi through Digitakt back into Minilogue XD?
Minilogue XD Midi Out -> DT Midi In, DT Midi Out -> ML XD Midi In
So the keys you play on the ML XD control a midi track on the DT which controls Minilogue XD.

If the Minilogue XD doesn’t route incoming midi to it’s midi out (check if there are any midi thru settungs) then this could work? Or would there be conflicts because ML XD is set to DTs autochannel?

1 Like

“Or would there be conflicts because ML XD is set to DTs autochannel?”

I suspect that’s the issue. Looking for a workaround…

I know this was a good while ago, but did you manage to resolve your MIDI conflict issue with the Minilogue XD? Just asking because I’m thinking of getting one and using it in exactly this way with my Syntakt, on channel 14. Thanks.

I gave up trying and sold the XD. But that’s not to say it’s not possible. I use a Keystep controller now.

So I got an XD yesterday and been battling around it to work out how to get more value from it with the Digitakt.

I have now got it set to channel 10 (my auto channel on the DT) with the following cabling set up

DT > XD > DT

So midi out from DT to XD midi in then XD midi Out to XD midi in.

This now allows my to control any channel on the DT from the XD while also setting a midi channel (on the DT) to 10 so I can play back through to the XD on the XD’s keyboard and the DT ultimately then controls the XD again

NB Need to turn of SW in the Global Settings on the XD to stop the XD from playing a sound while using it in this way.

I still just want to get a keystep controller in the future but this will do well for now.

Also NOTE - XD does not pass Arp data through Midi annoyingly (only used locally) so am also using an OP-Z on USB midi as an overpriced arp for some channels

Ive got it set up like you explained. However, when Ive selected a preset on the XD other then 1 and I play stop on the DT 2 times it resets to preset 1 on the XD.
Do you have any idea how to stop this?