Using Analog Heat as interface - coloration amount?

Hey! Been using my AH as a USB interface lately. Love the ease of use and the set up there. It seems like when I’m using OB and running audio straight from the inputs into the computer, I don’t have the option to color things with the circuits the same way - totally fine I can go back and do that later.

I was experimenting last night though and I swear tweaking little things with it DOES change the sound a little. Circuit types, the envelope follower, wet/dry, etc all seem to affect the sound albeit super subtly.

So that’s why I’m posting here, has anyone else used this set up and experience the same thing? Anyone really A/B’d it before? Basically trying to figure out if I’m just twisting a knob and tricking myself into thinking I’m doing something lol

Thanks all

Hey,

so, yeah, elektron didn’t do a good job explaining the audio routing in the manual. I don’t really understand all the options yet, I just figured out how to get what I wanted. basically, I either want to send audio out un-effected or I want the audio going through the effects at 100%, so to choose either of those options, here’s what I do:

press the “Settings” button and then use the Preset/Data knob to scroll down so that “AUDIO ROUTING” is highlighted.

press the “Yes” button and then use the Preset/Data knob to scroll down so that “USB CC MODE” is highlighted.

press the “Yes” button and now you can select whether the USB audio is sent through the Analog Heat or not; “PRE” or “INSERT” sends the USB audio through the effects, “POST” does not.

hope that helps, and hopefully, someone who knows more than me can enlighten the rest of us on all the details.

oops, sorry, I didn’t read your post right - I don’t use Overbridge, so my observations are probably irrelevant to your situation…

on the Analog Heat, if you press the Settings button and go to AUDIO ROUTING / USB CC MODE, do any of the options do what you want? that’s the only way I know to route audio in the AH

Hey thank you! I caught your first reply before you deleted it, I think that was exactly what I was looking for

@fatfreesprout as your first post seems relevant, can you undelete it?

I’ve never explored AH and OB personally but I remember similar topics from before - here’s a circuit diagram if helpful!

If I understand your conundrum correctly then you shouldn’t be hearing any coloration if using it as a soundcard as it bypasses all of the circuitry - but you can still use it as an effects VST whilst using it as a soundcard, maybe you’re putting audio into it that way?

It’s kind of a weird way to have routed it all if you ask me but I’m sure there’s logic behind it!

i.e. you could bring audio in via the soundcard, put it back out into the effects chain, then get it back again. Will add a bit of latency.

Edit: The above diagram doesn’t do a good job of showing why it’s not possible, this one is a bit more illustrative:

2 Likes

Thanks this is also super helpful. After looking through the replies here I’m leaning towards I’m just crazy and turning the knobs is making me think I’m changing things :laughing:

Even if my tweaking isn’t doing anything, I do feel as though AH is imparting a sound onto the recorded audio. When I listen back in the Octa, it sounds a little less cloudy. Maybe I’m just hearing the sound of the converters stacking up track by track, I’m not sure. Will keep playing around and let y’all know if I figure anything out!

Oh! Sorry y’all, I un-deleted my earlier post.

I haven’t used OB, so I don’t know how that works in terms of the audio routing. I don’t want to give bad info - these machines are sophisticated enough that it gets confusing pretty quickly if you don’t have all the relevant info.

1 Like

I found that even when ‘bypassed’ my levels were different coming out of the AH, so I wouldn’t be surprised if you’re right.

If you want to dig in maybe do a test recording with some white noise and compare spectral results.

So if you use overbridge, the AH uses a VST version of itself?

Because running audio through it is for the Analog circuitry, am I right?

I know emulation can be good, but nothing compares to real circuits, even if they are less clean.

Plus, even when I bypass, I need to gain stage a bit, so I can image that if you go analog routing that it colors it a bit regardless… all in a beautiful way!

Thankfully not, hence why the hardware is required to be connected, though a VST that sounds as good as the Heat would be an awesome thing indeed.

1 Like

Oh, thank god…

I think the suite of Soundtoys can also give some great “Heat” in my opinion.

It’s really about how all roads lead to Rome, you just need to pick the road.

But nothing “dials” you in like the AH!

(Get it… dial…. Like on the AH…. Puns!)