Using a mixer as an instrument

I tried my hand at some No-Input Mixing last week, using a battered old little Yamaha mixing desk I had lying around. Great fun! I hit record for my second patch, and ended up with this:

All source sound comes from the Mixer, and I ran it through my Eurorack for some filtering and FX. I managed to get an atmospheric, slightly claustrophobic feeling - you can hear several layers of different feedback loops all on top of each other, achieved by very careful working of the mixer’s EQ. Anyhow, hopefully someone might enjoy this!

7 Likes

I do! It sounds great.

That’s what I like about this technique. It’s a really meditative way to make music. I found out, that all mixers sound different. My Boss BX is really droney and bass heavy while my behringer is clicky and more percussive.

Eliane Radigue’s feedback works were truly visionary:

4 Likes

Thanks, glad you enjoyed! :relaxed:

Yeah, I’m keen to try it with others and see what they’re like. I’m planning to do some with my old 4track, I’ve got a feeling that one will be pretty wild - the pots and faders aren’t hugely accurate and it’s also a bit crackly on some of them, which is likely to make it even more chaotic :joy:

YES!! I actually listened to the one below several times last week, driving to and from gigs. I only just discovered her work and I’m really enjoying it. I’ll listen to that one you posted later on today, thanks for the link :raised_hands:

2 Likes

Here’s my input on the no-input. I’m using the Octatrack to send and receive signals from and to a Behringer board using the main and cue outputs. I used AKWF with very slow rate to tingle the filters to send rhythmic pings to the mixer. Also using one track to sample the MAIN. Added some delay, Zoia at the end of the chain for some light reverb. Very interesting setup ! I’m not even using the Octatrack and the Zoia at their full potential, but it is already a lot to wrap my head around. Hope you enjoy!

1 Like

I was lucky to be able to contribute to this excellent compilation of people using no-input techniques.

4 Likes

Nice thread ! I recently did a video about how I like to use my beloved Studer console in a “Dub” style remix (or recording) setup for those who might be interested.

2 Likes

In every of my Acid-setup - a Boss KM rules. I love those classic boxes :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

Some fun using an old Teisco MX-600 mixer as a noise box and MEGA distortion unit this evening !

2 Likes