Using a mixer as an instrument

Actually if you want to distort/color the sound, the older the better. The original 1202/1604 have less headroom and more character.

Well guess what @Joe_b ?
One week become 5 months (due to no pc for online - my laptop is too old so have to upload via phone. I’m a software philistine :alien: ).
Example of 2 mixer feedback.
Samples from Kaoss pads, the rest is the desks/fx…

5 Likes

5 Likes

If you’ve still go room for more, we travel deeper into space.

3 Likes

Banging

1 Like

Thanks fellow.

I’ve scanned through them and now I’m giving deepchime the full works on my hifi. It’s right up my street.

1 Like

This is totally amazing!!!

I started to use the Boss KM 60 and 6A heavily on my last tracks - especially for any acid track.

Nothing for a clean mix - for sure :joy:

Feedback loops, definitely. Plug some distortion pedals and other effects if you wish into your mixer, then run a signal from an output, FX send or headphones into the input of your pedals. Works great! You can also do it without pedals if you wish.

Wtf? At 1:44 it sounds like a cowbell! :face_with_monocle:

From the comments:

6 Likes

Here’s a classic from Toshimaru Nakamura, probably the first time I hear this technique used:

Then there’s naturally the hundreds of harsh noise artists who use no input mixing with distortion pedals to make their music.

2 Likes

I think it worth mentioning the great works of David Lee Myers aka Arcane Device, who used feedback loops (and matrices) as the main sound source from early 80s. Including loops on analogue mixers and in digital domain as well (Ableton works just fine by his words, if I remember correctly).

2 Likes

And of course Mick Harris. This recording does not have a good quality, but look, he is literally performing on mixer console with pedals (and probably main stems come from Ableton).

(No “no-input” techniques, rather classical ‘dub’ approach of mixing and effecting on fly.)

5 Likes

There is a free VST out now that emulates one of the Mackie mixers quite well. Interface is bare bones but I think it sounds great.

https://www.airwindows.com/mackity/

2 Likes

Yeah I agree, sounds great on 909, 303 etc!!

1 Like

Here I use the Octatrack FX to process feedback loops:

9 Likes

One of my favourite musicians.

2 Likes

:clap: great stuff! I enjoyed that :raised_hands:

1 Like

Came across this today – Marko Ciciliani showing an impressive mastery of a Mackie 1604!

5 Likes