Used Gear Horror Stories

Hey been a lurker. Finally taking the plunge and joining this awesome community. Incredible discussions on here.

Well I thought I’d introduce myself with icebreaker question about used gear. Does anybody have any horror stories? Just thought I’d bring it up because something has been tanking the air quality around here and so I actually decided to break open my Octatrack MK1 that I purchased used off Reverb from a California resident. First thing I noticed was metal plates above the audio input/output connections have this green corrosion I can only presume may be from all the salt in that California air. But I also noticed some other stuff too. The inside of the copper stands have this purple residue…kinda weird, and there is the powder substance inside the entire box that is like this fine white and black powder on the sides. I suppose it could just be dust accumulated on my end, but there is also this strange white goopy substance on the motherboard…no idea what it is. I wonder if this thing might be the culprit, but not sure how to clean it. I also noted a sloshing noise that seems to come from the LCD display when I rock the thing around. Dunno. I also purchased my AR MK1 and A4 MK1 used and now I’m wondering about what those things could look like inside…

Well, just thought I’d pose the question on here for some interesting discussion. Looking to contribute to more technical discussions once I get a better grasp of these machines.

1 Like

In the 1990s I bought an AMP BH-420 bass amp and it would always cut out when it got warm. Took it to a tech who “fixed” it, same problem. And another. It was a small town so I was running out of techs. Finally sold it as broken and cut my losses.