Used AH Mk1 Button Issue

Hi Nauts, i have got an issue with a used ah mk1. The lfo button has a contact issue. Sometimes the lfo is selecting Sometimes not. Does anyone know how to try to fix it? I havent got any soldering skills at all.

Thanks a lot.

Milan

These type of machines use a mechanical button, if there is any kind of lint or hair inside of it preventing consistent contact it can cause a problem. Best recommendation is to remove the encoder knobs and then unscrew the faceplate with a hex key, unlatch the ribbon cables, and then next unscrew the top PCB from the faceplate posts with the next size up hex key. Then using canned air (duster), blow off all the lint or hair from the top board, and with the LFO button (lifting upward from the side of the button cap) remove that button cap and blow out the mechanical button itself, even pressing on it to open and close the button as you use the air. Reassemble in reverse order. This is the ideal first thing to try.

If you aren’t comfortable to remove the face (it’s easy if you decide to do it, but if you aren’t) you could use a guitar pick or other blunt implement to pop off just the button cap with the machine still closed (again, from the side direction) using a tweezer remove any lint or hair that is visible, and then blow canned air only into that button. The risk here, is that if the air stream hits other junk inside the cover, it might blow it around and cause a problem in another different button similar to what you’re dealing with now, that’s why complete removal of the face and clearing the entire top PCB area of lint is the best approach.

If this doesn’t help, then it may be indicative of impending mechanical failure, but what you’re describing sounds more like a blocked or dirty contact rather than a broken mechanical switch.

1 Like

Hi Shigginpit thanks for your help. I have done it like you said intuitively. After blowing and hitting the button few times harder, everything is working fine at the Moment. There was a little bit of dust lying in there.

No problem, I’m sure it will be ok without a full cleaning for a while longer at least. I know that I had to remove the dust/fuzz out of these type of mechanical buttons in the past, so I thought it was more likely the problem than a soldering connection. Glad it worked for you.

The Issue aperes again. Do you ore someone els know what’s the specific type of lfo button I need to buy a new one. I will do a repair with a local technician.
Thanks a lot.

Hi, I don’t know which manufacturer elektron uses for the specific button, sorry. I do know that you can buy the correct button from their support and it’s cheap for the part but shipping is expensive so you’ll pay more for shipping than you will for the button itself.

1 Like

yes I was in contact with them but no answer anymore. Maybe cause of Diigitakt or so