USB hubs and Overbridge?

The Overbridge Public Beta page says that you need:

• Dedicated USB host port for each Overbridge hardware device. USB Hubs are generally not supported and may cause problems with both connectivity and performance.

Meanwhile, Electron markets a USB hub that they claim is specifically intended for use with Overbridge.

So which is it?

The description of the Overhub refers to the old Overbridge version (1.x) and not Overbridge 2.0.

The Overhub is especially targetting the Mark 1 devices (AR MK1, A4 MK1) which uses only USB 1.x. Normally a single USB 1.x device will slow down the complete USB 2.0 hub unless it supports MTT (the Overhub does).

While Overbridge 2.0 doesn’t generally support USB hubs most installations should work flawlessly (when no MK1 device is involved).

1 Like

Understood. The question is why Elektron is selling a device that they recommend not using. Also, with the trend toward making computer hardware smaller, many laptops have only one or two USB ports (typically USB-C), and absolutely rely on hubs to be able to connect multiple devices.

So the idea that Overbridge doesn’t generally support USB hubs is problematic, to say the least.

But they do recommend using it - with Overbridge 1. Which is a particular product. They don’t recommend using it with Overbridge 2 (Beta). Which is a different product. Overhub can also be used for uses completely independent of Overbridge. So they’re selling Overhub for particular uses - they just don’t include Overbridge 2 (Beta). Maybe the final version will work better with USB hubs? Maybe they’ll bring out a new hub that does work with 2. Maybe they’ll do neither. It’s Beta software - by definition it’s a work in progress. And as tnussb said, there’;s a good chance it will work fine with a hub - it’s just not guaranteed. There’s a difference between “generally not recommended” and “definitely doesn’t work”.

A perfectly valid question would be “why are USB hubs not generally recommended for Overbridge 2?”, but that in itself has no bearing on the validity of Overhub as a product.

4 Likes

I don’t have Overhub but I’m using an MTT Hub with DT, DN and A4 Mk 1 with no connection problems at all. I wasn’t even aware you aren’t supposed to use a Hub, as far as I can tell it’s causing no issues at my end. Occasionally the A4 goes a bit crazy syncwise, but sure that’s Overbridge related as it was unworkable with the previous beta, and 95% better with the current one. Off and on corrects it when it happens.

EDIT: perhaps it’s more about ruling out a variable whilst developing OB because a hub adds a layer of complexity.

2 Likes

Basically what phutyle stated. I abstractly get the confusion but the answer is that you need a specific type of hub, and they may not have tested enough of the MTT offerings when they released the first offering.

Regardless, it’s a current non-issue.