URL hack for first / last / back Elektronauts topic post

Is there a general way, to add some string to the topic URL, so that the view always navigates to the first / last / “back” post?

This should serve the purpose of being able to create external bookmarks, so that navigation to the preferred position in the topic can be part of the bookmark and trigger automatically when opening the page.

Navigation to the first post is obvious and default with “clean” URL, the question is concerned with the last and back posts.

Can you explain “back”, please? Back is relative and it will change from time to time and from user to user if they are logged in (back from what?). If it helps, you can get the URL of any comment by clicking on its date at the top right corner.

Thanks, so is there anything else besides the “last” postfix?

I’ve tried new, recent, unread, read, first… and haven’t found any other.

By “back” I meant that sometimes, there is a “back” location shown in the vertical timeline scrollbar, I’m actually not sure what it is and when it appears :sweat_smile:

Logged in users are automatically directed to the last point where they left a topic the last time they read it as logged in users. The Discourse software remembers that location. This means that the same topic URL will send different logged in users to different points of a topic.

Does this help? If you need more information it would help to know what problem you want to solve. :slight_smile:

1 Like

I had never noticed this consciously, You are right. It seems to happen when, as a logged in user, you land somewhere on a long topic and then you start scrolling. The “back” link sends you to the last position before you started scrolling. For a logged in user, the plain topic URL would send them to the same location (that, as said, will vary from user to user).

1 Like