Upgrade MacOS to Catalina or Big Sur?

I´m running Mojave, and need to update to get Side Car running (iPad as an extra screen).

Is it safe to upgrade to Big Sur? Or should I settle with Catalina?

Safe… meaning will my software still work?

I’m mostly using Overbridge and Ableton Live 10, and using Scarlet 18i20 and Xone:96 audio interfaces.

Mojave to Catalina is completely safe at this point. Big Sur is more complex. I have a 2018 MBP and I’m sticking with Catalina for now.

Sweetwater has a compatibility guide based on what software/hardware you’re running: https://www.sweetwater.com/sweetcare/articles/macos-11-big-sur-compatibility-guide/

4 Likes

I upgraded to Catalina recently for the exact same reason. I always work on the ‘if ain’t broken don’t fix it principle’ so was really hesitant for a long time but really wanted sidecar.

Keep one eye on upgrades and compatibility issues but nothing too in depth so thought I might encounter issues.

In the end, I thought stuff it made sure I had a full timemachine backup and dived head first into the update.

Apart from a few minor issues it was fine.

The issue I had was my ipad didn’t support sidecar so it cost £300 to upgrade :grin:

1 Like

So if you have a time machine backup, you can roll back exactly to the previous state? If you want to go back to Mojave from Catalina fx.

Yes, although Ive never actually done it but from what Ive read you can. Not sure how painless it is though

1 Like

I’ve just upgraded from Mojave to Catalina and plan to leave Big Sur for a while. My work are also being very cautious about upgrades to Big Sur.

I held off Catalina for a long time, especially when it became apparent that Logic Pro 10.6 was causing Overbridge issues, but they’ve released 10.6.2 which supposedly fixes these issues, so I’ve taken the leap to Catalina and Logic Pro 10.6.2.

I was having some audio issues which I think were due to Core Audio implementation, which I’m hoping will be fixed in Catalina. For me the only real imperative to upgrading to newer Mac OS versions is where built in drivers have known issues on the older version but are fixed in the newer ones.

1 Like

Im on catalina imac27” 2020.
Everything works fine for me
That is cubase ,overbridge,motu midi interface,claret thunderbolt audio interface, the Cc121 and yes also sidecar

Cant upgrade to big sur yet waiting for the drivers for the motu midi

27" iMac from 2017 with Big Sur. No big problems so far. RME provided already drivers for my Fireface UC, as well as Ableton did for Live 10. Working fine.
Elektron Transfer and Overbridge runs fine also.