Update including more filter types?

Yes, back to the octatrack is probably the path of least resistance. Hoping the dt gets everything the dn gets will just lead to frustration. The recent update on the dn seems to have people thinking that the dt will get those features or a boost in features but I don’t believe that will be the case. The dn contains 2 dsp chips whereas the dt contains 1. So the dt is ultimately the weaker machine. To add to that it’s been stated by ess on the forum that the dt is quite close to maxed out as is.

5 Likes

That’s fine, I’d take a base/width filter with just a handful of fixed positions too.
I mean resampling is fun and everything, but man does it get tiresome after a while to always have this additional step in the workflow just for a minor adjustement to get rid of some unwanted content. Doesn’t have to be a sophisticated filter with carefully crafted sound characteristic, just a simple simple simple utility ffs.

Weird, I’m getting all emotional over some filters :blush:

2 Likes

Which was probably the SL mk3 and the Summit.

Elektron is doing a very good Job in delivering OS Updates for their Machines. Not Long ago the DT got a compressor. However the machine as is, is Not unusable, there are workarounds Like resampling.

Hmm… (..)

First of all - I think that if it is possible to simply lift the second filter from DN onto DT we should do it, no question about that.

However, as I wrote previously the CPU overheard is kinda tight, and any DSP-related processes are the ones that use up the most resources since we use general purpose processors in the DT and DN. (Coldfire to be exact)

In fact, any DSP routine on this system is written in assembler. Fun fact, albeit maybe not as fun for Oscar who has to implement it.

Anyway, adding something on top of the current state is due to these factors quite expensive in terms of CPU resources. Not saying it’s impossible, but might be improbable.

ლ(¯ロ¯"ლ)

Having said that, I see a few ways that might be good options - feel free to weigh in.

1. Base/Width as a filter type option, meaning you will be able to select this instead of LP/HP. I would in this case think the envelope depth should apply to the Width, making it quite usable beyond just tone shaping. Theoretically it could and should be steeper than the DN B/W.

2. Something weirder, like exchanging the DIST on the Amp page for a tone balance knob. This could be an option in Sound Settings. Kinda weird, but it makes sense in terms of processing resources, the distortion is oversampled quite a bit.

3. A fixed filter (on a secondary filter page), e.g fixed high or low cut that you can enable or disable. I think it’s cheaper having it static? Unsure about that though, I’m not a DSP expert.

We’ll see if any of this will work, but something to consider at least.
All depends on whether the DSP gods abide or not. 人(_ _*)

45 Likes

Good to have some insight on that, thanks a lot! :blush:

1 Like

Base/Width would be awesome!

1 Like

the Base/Width filter as implemented on MonoMachine would be AMAZING, but a tilt eq type tone control replacing the distortion slot is an interesting idea too. I like it. Could maybe even open up options for other distortion types if you need to go into the sound settings to access it anyway.

I’d also love a notch filter selectable in the filter type

3 Likes

A simple base width would do wonders

option 3 would be my preference. Having an extra filter just to carve away low frequencies would be very very welcome indeed. This leaves the current filter free for perfmance purposes or extra tone shaping and sound designing. If it is possible to make it a low pass with just a frequency knob, that would be amazing.

Great to hear there are options :slight_smile:

An extra filter type is nice, but to me it would miss a very important part of why having two filters on the DN is so useful.

3 Likes

Base Width as third option to a single filter seems like what most people have been asking for since DT first shipped.

Fingers crossed!

2 Likes

The Digitone has two processors, the Digitakt one, this is my theory on why they haven’t/can’t implement more filter types, especially after the Master Compressor update. It’s basically close to being maxed out.
Edit - Just read Ess’ post above, confirmed but clever and exciting idea’s there! I like option 1. Please don’t get rid of amp distortion it’s one of my favorite features to use, esp with LFO’s for transients etc.

1 Like

I didnt really expect an entire new filter to be added. Im not knowledgeable about software dsp etc. But i think another option on the filter page wouldnt use up any more dsp would it? As long as its just an option for the current filter.

The distortion option mentioned also sounds pretty neat though and ive never seen it mentioned before

So, resources for this (CPU) is a bit of an unknown at the moment and needs to be properly investigated but it sounds like it could be feasible, and is something that we will look into. I think we will first and foremost see if it is possible to add a second filter just like on the DN. If it isn’t, we’ll see if any of the options feel like a good fit/possible alternative.

Again, cannot promise anything but just would like you to know that we are considering things like this.

48 Likes

sick :sunglasses::ok_hand:t3:

Very pelased to hear this! :slight_smile:
Fingers crossed.

1 Like

So this means that… Oscar ROCKS!

:metal: :metal: :metal:

1 Like

Great to read and that you are considering options!
Thanks

The base/width filter on the Monomachine is a great design. Would be a really useful option to have on the DT.

I wish all the luck for Oscar! no pressure :blush: