Unique dirty, raw, fun synths?

I always assumed the jomox
Resonator Neuronium might fit into this, never tried one though.

1 Like

It’s an X1L3 Vevoyah, modified Atari Punk.
Completely badass!

4 Likes

Strega is super intriguing. Anyone here running it together with the Moog semimodulars?

Lots of expensive dirty synths in this thread. How about some cheap(ish) ones?

Volca Keys - has a real unique gritty sound, especially in the delay, which I haven’t heard on anything else

Yamaha CS01 - ok, not so cheap anymore, but still probably cheaper than most other synths in this thread

Tri-Negistor - a friend made one of these for me many years ago. Weird uncontrollable noise oscillator box.

1 Like

Knifonium sounds quitte unique, dirty, raw

2 Likes

Might be stretching the definition but Korg Monotribe?

4 Likes

Mutable instruments Shruthi with a polivoks filter

4 Likes

Always fancied trying one of those, plenty of mods to go at too.

2 Likes

They are great fun, just absolutely stinking synth and lofi kk, sn, hh… excellent performance tricks and stand alone sound design, not to mention the sample fodder it emits!
@darenager will be the Mod-God you should seek :laughing:

2 Likes

I’m not familiar with these personally but what I have heard of them has put them in the back of my mind for a possible future purchase
https://store.synthrotek.com/West-Coast-Noise-System_p_520.html
https://store.synthrotek.com/Analog-Drum-Synth-System_p_519.html

I know they are out of stock but you can find them secondhand sometimes or at dealers. They have a pretty unique vibe about them. Very dirty. That also goes for sythrotek’s sound in general. I have their cosmic space echo squared delay pedal and that thing is wild and very grimey!

It’s tempting I gotta admit!

1 Like

Should mention Baby Box too, killer with the Superego+ in this vid (0:27 onwards):

2 Likes

Dfam

3 Likes

Hex

Yes me. I have a little collection of semimodulars: DFAM, SubH, grandmother, 0-coast and Strega, plus a small Eurorack case that mainly provides utilities for the semimodulars. It’s a nice setup although cables can sometimes get really messy!

2 Likes

Analogue Solutions Fusebox with its „Patternator“ seems fun and the sound / track, which the YouTuber rezfilter gets out of it, is massive and raw. Really dig it.

3 Likes

How do you tend to incorporate the Strega? Do you run the outs of your other gear into it?

I always applaud the feedback / mixer torture / No-Input Mixing advice. I’ve been delving into that myself recently. But there’s no evidence of it blowing up anything in the mixer, or doing any damage. There’s been a few studies designed to debunk this, just FYI!

3 Likes

I’ll go ahead and second the Norand Mono. It’s like having a full, twisted eurorack voice in a much more manageable/affordable case

3 Likes