Underwhelmed by the Octatrack Mk2, looking for advice!

Good afternoon :wink:

Thatā€™s me. I canā€™t appropriate something if I donā€™t understand it.
I guess I am afraid of that mystical box.:sweat_smile:

1 Like

It makes sense! Thank you.

1 Like

lmao at this old ass sampler. OT is a great sampler/workstation, but its old as shit

1 Like

Ha, donā€™t worry about what I say I forgot how to be serious, Iā€™m looking into it again, youā€™ll know when it happensā€¦ :slight_smile:

Thing could be from the Stone Age or from the future and Iā€™d still use it as long as it did the same things that it doesā€¦ :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Emu SP-1200 makes the OT look like a toddler, yet fetches crazy money in the used market.

1 Like

I was talking about in elektron years, but yesā€¦

1 Like

There are newer hardware sampler designs that have come out, but itā€™s only the ones in modular format (eg. Rossum) that have tempted me, and only slightly. No offense to fans/users of the new Akai stuff, the Pioneer thing, etc. - my music is not really oriented around strong driving beats, though I mess with beats/drum machine apps for fun and general goofing off.

The mk2 just cAme out thoughā€¦

The mk2 is a very capable machine and Iā€™d be stoked to have one if I were youā€¦
But itā€™s mostly the same old sampler in a brand new suitā€¦
(Yeah thereā€™s new inputs and whatever, but nobody will be able to listen to a track and tell if itā€™s a mk1 or mk2)

I love it, itā€™s like the OT was ahead of its time and now it gets released againā€¦
For me this is a more interesting and entertaining story than if an entire redesign happened, I get a kick out of it and prefer its re-release over if they made some better faster stronger deviceā€¦

1 Like

Agreed, but itā€™s also the only thing if itā€™s kind. If you want something newer that does the same stuff you are pretty well out of luck.

1 Like

Newer does not mean better. Period. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Haha yup. My ancient polysix runs circles around plenty of newer synths.

4 Likes

I also think of folks get eager for the next best thing to come out, and then create expectations of some music company to deliver. Iā€™m not even sure if a lot of them know what they want, it just has to be ā€œthe new thingā€ā€¦
To me this is a setup that leads to be let down if they donā€™t. You canā€™t be let down if you donā€™t expect anything. However you still can be surprised when something next level does appearā€¦

Thereā€™s been stuff available for many years now to make super good music and not all possibilities have been explored, thereā€™s still millions of ways to use existing stuff to create sounds no one has ever heard before.
Whereā€™s it gonna end anyway?
Press a button and some device spits out a track that makes you famous? :thinking:

2 Likes
7 Likes

My current fantasy mythology that I like to envision goes like this:

People at Elektron years ago were working on the Octatrack. Somewhere along the lines they werenā€™t finished, but stumbled upon some code by accident that put the :elot: in Octatrack. At that point they couldnā€™t change it much more because it would break the code, but they didnā€™t understand how they landed there anyway. They polish up their machine the best they could without changing the secret mysterious coding.
Next theyā€™re like, OK, weā€™ll release this to the masses, and they can help us figure out what we stumbled uponā€¦
Years go by and somehow they started an Octacult around their mysterious device. The cult members have been unraveling the secrets but still have yet to find the answerā€¦
Elektron has been observing the whole time and decides, well, the cult has not gotten to the depths of the mystery yet, and people are loosing interest because the OT is from '11. We canā€™t change it much because we donā€™t know how we did it, and we still want to know what it is we did anywayā€¦
Letā€™s just reissue the thing in a shinny new suit so that folks will maintain interest, and get some new cult members in here to help figure out what we didā€¦ :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

5 Likes

Itā€™s kind of new - really the MkI dressed up with prettier buttons and display.

Thereā€™s nothing like either Mk of the OT in any case.

The evolution of sampling and looping technology has been kind of funny. There are still some innovative features from the old Oberheim Echoplex Digital Pro that are not yet in current gen loopers. CV control of FX params that were standard in old Lexicon units has been slow to reappear in the market - only the modular explosion made it possible again.

2 Likes

Sorry but new opamps, balanced inputs and more headroom is objectively better. Especially since, for me, the inputs was the weakest link. Also some of those quick access buttons are game changers to simplify that workflow and make the device more usable. But it all depends on what youā€™re looking for.

2 Likes

As long as it got the battery fix before the pcb was melted :stuck_out_tongue: and it gets itā€™s repair every few years. That said I still want one. But I also appreciate my a4 mkii and deepmind 6 as well.

1 Like

Oh, the context of my statement had to do with a bunch of posts before itā€¦
I wasnā€™t trying to say that the OTmk2 was not any better than the OTmk1.
It was more of a general ā€œnewer doesnā€™t necessarily mean betterā€, but it certainly can.
Especially for things like improved headroom and buttons for quicker access, for sure thatā€™s an upgrade. :slight_smile:

1 Like