Understanding crossfader parameters + default MIDI out?

Hi, still very new to the OT atm, but am really enjoying exploring it so far. Forgive what may be a fairly novice question, but I couldn’t see anything similar

I’ve been mucking about with the crossfader generally on a fairly simple A = one thing with a set of parameters / B = the same thing with some tweaked parameters

I’ve got my Digitone slaved to the MIDI clock/receiving MIDI info from the OT. I’d recorded a loop in the DN in live recording mode and forgot that the live record mode was still active. Mucking around with the crossfader in OT started doing some really interesting and pretty far-out (quite cool) parameter changing in the DN, but I’m kinda mystified as to exactly what!

Notably it only seemed to be doing it on Trk 1 on the DN, if I changed it to any of the other Trks even with live record on it didn’t seem to be doing anything to the sounds, oddly. Is it taking some of the parameter locks from the other OT tracks and throwing it over via MIDI or something?

Any idea what’s going on here? And are there some ways to make the crossfader do cool things as a MIDI send slider that I should know about?

Thanks!

Previously on Elektronauts…

Cross fader sends CC48 only. This can be disabled. Or enabled and exploited.

3 Likes

… and, on the Digitone, CC 48 controls the frequency ratio of the B operators.

Not so odd: this behaviour is simply determined by the MIDI channel settings on the two instruments.

4 Likes

Concerning midi channel, the crossfader CC48 is sent on the lowest audio track channel non shared with a midi track !

Default is channel 1 (audio tracks default channels are 1-8).
If you set a midi track to channel 1, crossfader channel becomes 2.
Or
If you disable audio track 1, or set it to an higher value, crossfader’s channel becomes 2.

If all audio tracks channels are disabled or shared with midi tracks, CC48 is not sent.
:coffee:

4 Likes

Thank you for the info everyone, that’s very helpful!

Thought it must have been doing more than one CC value as was doing some pretty wild stuff, but I guess not!

Thanks again for the explainers.

…ooo, crossfader controling of the frequency ratio on dtone b operators IS a pretty wild thing… :wink:

1 Like

All these CCs can be transmitted with knobs or buttons…