Umek has spoken : )

Fact is plenty of great music has been made with hardware and there is plenty of great music made with computers.

And plenty of crap music made with hardware and plenty of crap music made with computers.

The main factor is the person making it often more than the tools they are using

6 Likes

My main concern we usually forget that! right out the bat thereā€™s just no music no art if we remove the human factor. TRUE FACT

so We make music, We translate our emotions trough notes or noises ā€¦ whatā€™s generate notes/noises is not that important (I donā€™t say it isnā€™t - just not THAT important

3 Likes

I mean nothing serious mate, Iā€™m just making fun of our collective producing gimmicks. :wink:

1 Like

Haha I get what you mean. I love dub techno, when you can hear that the track has gotten some love and is not just your basic track. The chords are usually boring, but some artists actually do a few progressions in their tracks. The sound of the stab itself can be either digital or analogue and itā€™ll still sound great. Itā€™s more about the filter and fx, how creatively itā€™s used and such.

1 Like

Sure I agree :wink:

1 Like

Cool, itā€™s not always easy to pick up on for everyone over messages. Not even with emojis.

1 Like

I think he is adressing the gear-fetishism and glorification of a daw-less/analogue workflow on social media and how it influences people into buying a ton of hardware while most professionals in the industry who just want to get shit done are mostly ITB-producers and do so silently.

Posting your plugin folder just doesnt have the same swag as posting a room full of vintage synths and tapemachines, so itā€™s probably just another case of social media induced cognitive dissonance :man_shrugging:

All in all, I think he has a point and btw itā€™s pretty lame angle to disregard his opinion because one doesnt like his music because afterall he is an industry-veteran whether you like his music or not.

12 Likes

4 Likes

Sure and another thing is when you start,

You feel obligated to make a loan to the bank to buy harware (unless to had better options) before you even learn a lot of essential things to use it better.
And often we confuse Home Studio with pro studio ā€¦ (excluded Live because it straddles the two)

if you are borrowing money it must be for a project that brings you something short term. with a loan for music you can be sure that it will be in the medium term (with a big stroke of luck close to poker) but rather in the long term (close to a game of chess) so no never borrows since the return on investment is not certain in the short term.

I speak from experience here. I started to buy gears a little bit after my friend IRL @acidhouseforall because he does so interesting things in his room with his S2000 I was yeah I need to made my own music and I think thatā€™s near to in the ending of the 90ā€™sā€¦ so not fresh. I borrowing money from a bankā€¦ and start fast to sell-rebought process! For me the sell-rebought process was clearly because of a lack of experience on how to make electronic music but I came from a century where Internet Courses and Tutorials not existing much even in English. soā€¦ when youā€™re alone in jungle you fight in you own interest but it takes decades to get back on your foot. Thatā€™s only a few years I have the feeling to know what I make with gears, tones and processing and I little close to 43 years old. The youngest have chance nowadays with internet : so LEARN before to BUY anything.

1 Like

True.

Yes probably, the whole ā€œDAWLESSā€ thing has become something of a clichĆ© in recent years, it is almost like some people think it is somewhat of a special achievement to make music without a DAW, when in fact the DAW has only really been a mainstay in electronic music since the mid 90ā€™s.

3 Likes

This.
Also, producing with software isnā€™t necessarily quicker.
Itā€™s all OK. Working with both is great :slight_smile:

2 Likes

There are many victims!

1 Like

itā€˜s ridiculous. But a useful hashtag to attract more viewers on insta and youtube :upside_down_face:

1 Like

So someone went on social media to complain about people glorifying their shit on social media by glorifying his own shit on social media, apparently in the hope that others would then talk about his shit on social mediaā€¦

Seems productive.

1 Like

7 Likes

:joy:

Sorry 'bout that bro :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

1 Like

I think Umek is his first nameā€¦
Umek Me Laughā€¦

2 Likes

Exactly, Umek has been as generic as they come since the mid 2000ā€™s. Not that you canā€™t use a computer to make music that has lots of character, but Iā€™d have been more surprised if he was making his music with a ton of vintage synths cos youā€™d have to really work at it to get them to sound that sterile.

iā€™ve never heard of this chump but waving a Buchla around on social media while also telling people you canā€™t really be bothered to use it is extremely cringe behaviour and Iā€™m embarrassed for him tbh

3 Likes