Ultimate Bassline Weapon

Oh, the Voyager is amazing! I would take it over any Model D. I love what people do with a Model D, but it’s not the synth for me. I’d definitely take a Voyager though.

On the Matriarch, I’m guessing it has to do with the mixing, levels feeding the filter, etc. Like you say, I bet it’s identical with some careful patch setup. The GM has such a simple signal flow though, that I imagine it’s four times easier to get just the right mixing and gains. It’s basically instant for me to get a patch the way I want. The Little Phatty I had was like that, and I imaging the Sub37 models are more work in the same way the Matriarch might be.

I haven’t played a Matriarch, so can’t completely comment on that other than what I imagine the case to be there.

1 Like

For basses, I ussually prefer to stay digital. Either U-he Diva in the Model D mode for analog-style, or more often an instance of Sytrus, which is FL Studio’s bundled FM synth.

Analog stuff sounds really really good, but I just can’t get the same level of control. In Sytrus, I can set up a basic square pluck with two of the operators, then send out varying mixes of subs and higher harmonics with the remaining four, and get the exact mix of harmonics that I want. All this for both the attack and sustain portions of the sound.

4 Likes

I havent seen it mentioned here, but Novation Peak seems like a real bass monster, it seems it got a whole range of different bass tones as well.

4 Likes

Another vote for SE 02 here. I ´ve recetly tried the minitaur. Itˋs also great. The thing i missed is the option to set the 2nd Osc more than one octave higher. What sets it apart is the option to send the lfo only to osc 2. On the SE 02 you canˋt do that. It is possible only per filter envelope. I also really like the DB 01 for its charakter.

2 Likes

+1
It has a very distinct tone.
I ha e had mine a month now and I really like it.

2 Likes

Actually it doesn’t really do bass that well, meaning it’s not that versatile. It does a particular type of Moog bass well. I’ve found both Dark Energy and 0-coast to be more versatile bass synths.

2 Likes

Are you talking about the Slim Phatty or Minitaur?

Minitaur, sorry.

1 Like

Ok, well if its sound doesn’t work for you or what you’re trying to achieve that that’s fair, however to me the Minitaur is really substantial and solid sounding, from punchy sequences to long cinematic bass drones and round subs with the square waves, personally I absolutely love the raw saw waves on the MT. But yeah, sound is largely subjective and a matter of taste.

1 Like

Serum is also good at it! Have done good amount of tracks with Serum on bass, from „norm“ to growling insanity.

RYTM

There is literally nothing that I can’t do with that lovely, juicy DUO VCO.

1 Like

Yeah for sure, it’s not a bad synth, but I found it too middley, round and warm. Plus it can’t really do super deep sub sounds.

I’ll echo plenty others suggesting Digitone :heavy_heart_exclamation:

Beyond that, I love the Malekko Manther for bass: lots of shaping possibilities to get things sitting how you want them i.e. the 101-style source mixer, with the wave-shaping that can be applied to the triangle or everything and the sub that can have tuning offset to taste and can morph from sine to square.

1 Like

Hmmm
any info on Studio Electronics Omega?
It’s killer as poly of course, but will it kick as well as mono bass synth?
SE-3x is also crazy… Want them both : )

1 Like

I’ve really fallen in love with Rytm DVCO bass. It can do tight and punchy, but you can scuff it up with plenty of drive/distortion. Filter has a very musical squelch to it, and you can do lots of fun tricks with the sequencer. I have made a couple tunes with it, and I love how it cuts through in the mix. I’ve owned multiple Moogs, and I was never as happy with the sound of them as with the DVCO.

This is my current Ultimate Bassline Weapon. Huge Moog oscillators into a Roland 101 style VCF with switchable resonance compensation. Absolutely kills.

5 Likes

Erica Bassline—small footprint, oh so powerful.

3 Likes

I too, bought a GM recently. It’s amazing and I must say that the Dark edition is particularly striking.

2 Likes

Moog Minitaur - i just love the moog bass sound and the minitaur delivers
Novation Peak - capable of some really deep and versatile bass

I really need to dig more into the Rytm’s DVCO. I know there is some decent bass goodness in there, just haven’t found it as easily as the moog and the peak

1 Like

The SE-3X eats all other bass synths for lunch.

1 Like