Ubik - I wrote a track about the science-fiction novel from Philip K. Dick

Philip K.Dick is a science fiction writer well known for his novel “Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep?” that was taken to Hollywood under the name of “Blade Runner”. We, synthesizer freaks, are in love with this film and its music done by Vangelis. In “Ubik” we also travel to the future, to a world where parallel realities are mixed with half-life, telepathy, where you have to throw a few coins to your home door if you want to go out, flights to the moon,…classic science fiction literature that is always a pleasure to read.

10 Likes

nice track. ubik is one of my fav pkd books. love his paranoia :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Great track! I’m a big fan too, read all his novels and almost all the short stories and essays. Love Ubik, been waiting for a movie long time, also I think there should be a movie of The Three Stigmata of Palmer Eldritch.

2 Likes

PKD is still the absolute master of SF if you ask me, very few anywhere near him

That would be a crazy flick! Get Gaspar Noe on the case I say

2 Likes

Yeah, Gaspar Noé! I think he never made adaptations, but sure, I would absolutely love that movie! And while we dream, get BoC for the soundtrack.

4 Likes

Thanks! Yes, a BoC soundtrack for the movie would be great!

I have only read “Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep?” and “Ubik”. What do you recommend me to read next?

I’d recommend A Scanner Darkly, The Three Stigmata of Palmer Eldritch, A Maze of Death, and Eye in the Sky.

4 Likes

Thanks! I will have a look.

There’s also “We Can Remember it for You, Wholesale” aka “Total Recall”. The book is more like the later Colin Farrell movie than the Schwarznegger classic. hehe.

1 Like

Lifelong PKD fan here. In addition to the above listed, I’d recommend Valis, The Divine Invasion, and Radio Free Albemuth. Also, Michael Bishop’s homage, Philip K. Dick is Dead, Alas is a great read.

3 Likes

Man in the High Castle is on amazon prime as well.

1 Like

Always like seeing Philip K. Dick accolades. My current production handle is V/\LIS - highly recommend the book!

1 Like

I think I have all the PKD novels in paperback. “The Man In The High Castle” is great for these times but for me, it’s the later ones that are most worthwhile and especially:

• “A Scanner Darkly”
  • “Ubik” and
  • “Flow My Tears, the Policeman Said”
6 Likes

Everyone seems to enjoy different novels from him, so this tell me the level is very good in his books. I have been reading a little bit in Wikipedia the sinopsis of some of the books, and I think I may begin with “Flow My Tears, the Policeman Said” as the plot seems interesting.
Thanks everybody for the recommendations! :grinning:

I think the level of his books is very uneven. A lot of the earlier ones were rushed out to try to earn money, despite having some great ideas. Try the titles that were recommended here; take a pause before trying any of those that weren’t recommended.

2 Likes

Thanks for the advice

Love everything about that book. The rotoscoped movie was good too!

2 Likes

A Scanner Darkly is the only time he has been adapted faithfully. Bladerunner was an absolute waste of source material, Ridley Scott never even read it.

Ubik and Three Stigmata would make great films if the director is actually interested in the ideas and not just making another sci fi chase film.

Valis is the book to read if you truly want to dive into the madness of PKD.

3 Likes

I’m a fan of Philip D Kick as well.

2 Likes

Yeah, totally agree, I reread A Scanner Darkly just before watching the movie, and I was surprised by how truly faithful it is. Linklater is a big fan, he also talks about PKD in Waking Life.