Two questions (program change, midi sync)

Midi setup:

Rytm > OT, OT thru > DN

Every song I play for my band gets one pattern. E01 is a song called City Tonight. I would like for when I change E01 on my Rytm it changes to E01 on my DN. I thought I went into my DN settings and told it to receive program change but this did nothing. Do I need to send program change from Rytm and OT?

Secondly, sometimes my trigs on the OT don’t start right away, other times they do. So I have one single trig for a shaker sample on step 1. Sometimes I press play on the Rytm and it starts up, other times it won’t start until a bar of music has played. Why?

Thank you!

The answer to your first question is : yes,you need to explicitly tell the sender to send the pc and tell the receiver to accept them. When you set the Auto channel of both machines to the same channel number things go really smooth, if I recall that correctly.

1 Like

What do you mean set auto channel to same number?

Also, if I don’t want OT to program change, I just set it to send but not receive correct?

If the OT does not need to change, and the AR is sending THRU the OT, then you don’t need to send or receive on the OT.

1 Like

Okay cool. I think my issue was I didn’t send program change from AR. I’ll have to check.

It’s not working! Rytm is set to Prog Ch send, DN is set to Program Ch receive, but when I change to E05 the DN stays on E15 (for instance)

Rytm midi out to OT midi in. OT midi thru to DN midi in. And for funsies I tried OT receive program change and nothing happened there either.

So I think I figured it out. I changed it from Auto Channel to channel 11. My only issue now is that it doesn’t change right away. So let’s say I end a song on E01. The next song, E02, I want my DN to be the only sound happening at first. So I cue up E02 on my rytm and mute the audio for it, but the DN is still playing E01. Is there any workaround for this?

Have you got DN prog change IN CH set to the same channel as the other machines?

Edit- seems so.

Late changes happen when track lengths are uneven. Make sure all sequencers involved in the pattern change have the same master length.

ugh…all of my rytm patterns are one bar long (and I want to keep them that way), while some DN patterns are two bars and four bars. do you know a workaround? the only thing I can think to do is turn down the volume on my DN until it changes pattern :\

it would almost be best to mute all three units, cue up the change between songs (we usually have applause after songs), press play on the rytm, and then just press stop once everything has changed over.

man. nobody told me three elektron units would be so much micromanagement! also…if only I could find a way to coordinate my “reload all” and bass drops on the rytm and the DN…I need a third hand!

Yeah 3 is too many. 2 is enough. I would probably go with stopping all machines to get the pattern change reset bang on every time. Since you’re using OT you could even make tht one the exception if you wanted to keep something going between songs?

I dont have an AR so cant help on that front.

I will have to check again, but I’m pretty sure even after I stopped all of the machines and pressed play on AR that it didn’t change right away.

Three machines is a lot, but I need the OT to run shaker loops and use the cross fader for filtering the master track. I also resample the vocals…

My issue is me wanting to turn up hat decay, play with the MIDI + no on the DN (which resets all sounds) and then also reload the hat and unmute kicks. I don’t even think it’s possible. I want to have too much fun!

You were right BTW. If I just stop everything then change the pattern it all switches over, so I’ll be doing that.