Twisted Electrons MEGAfm

defMON sync cartridge to the right with:
-LSDJ sync signal
-nanoloop sync signal
-midi clock
-din sync
-clock signal with adjustable resolution from 24ppqn to 2ppqn for Korg Volcas, TE Pocket Operators, Arturia Microbrute, MI Anushri etc

7 Likes

Badass!!! That is funky fresh.

1 Like

DAFM, DFAM this thread is making my head hurt :face_with_head_bandage:

But MegaFm sure sounds like some serious fun in a box.

3 Likes

I like!! That fukn proper and choice!! :mechanical_arm:

Back on topic MEGAfm. Got a reply from Twisted Electrons:

All parameters are CC controlled (and all faders/knobs send MIDI so you can control any VST/Hardware synth with it).
I also requested bi-timbral and got the answer that it is not intended for such purpose but it is good to hear that they might change their mind.
There is a built in arp and sequencer (according to the CDM article).
There is no SSG mode to replace each envelope but LFOs (square triangle ramp noise sample/hold waves) can be set to loop and or retrigger. You can also modulate the speed and depth of the lfos with another lfo so you could for example stall lfo1 (top) by linking its speed to lfo2 (bottom) set to a one-shot square:
image-5
or reduce lfo1 over time by linking its depth to lfo2 set to a one-shot saw
image-4

Even though this means that more advanced envelopes can be created, you will still need to combine two lfos to create them which falls short compared to a SSG mode for each operator envelope.

I´ve asked about LFO destinations but haven´t got a reply yet.

8 Likes

Sounds very much like the MEGAfm has voice pan spread (and unison).
I really think this is missing from the Digitone.

From the DSI OB-6 manual:
“Pan Spread pans audio in the stereo field individually per voice. Set to 0, all voices are panned to the center. As you turn the pan spread knob up, the audio in each voice is gradually moved away from the center by greater amounts. Every other voice goes in a different direction, left or right. This creates a broader stereo field while playing.”

3 Likes

Don’t know if anyone’s interested but I emailed Twisted Electrons about implementing portamento and it looks like it will be added in now. Woohoo!
Also asked about LFO destinations and he said this:
“It’s more a case of knobs having LFO destinations as you “chain” the LFOs to them…
So you can essentially modulate each knob/fader with 1, 2, or 3 LFOs”

Hope this helps!

5 Likes

my brain isn’t quite catching what’s meant by the knobs/LFOs thing, but no matter those specifics, thanks :+1:

From how I understood it, it seems like modulation might work like the PRO12 where you can map an LFO to any knob/fader, possibly by ‘arming’ the LFO and then moving the knob you wish to modulate. I may have also misunderstood this but that’s how I interpreted it.

Either way, it should be an insane amount of fun.

I was concerned it might have been a limited run product due to using the old Yamaha chips but that doesn’t seem to be a problem either.

1 Like

I think that’s how lfos are implemented on other Twisted Electron synths, like the Therapsid MKII.

First you either move lfo depth or rate, then briefly touch a knob that’s parameter you want to modulate and press the chain button to link the lfo to that parameter.
Multiple parameters can be assigned to an lfo.

The MEGAfm also has those chain buttons, so it’s probaply similar.

6 Likes

thanks for the explanations Bamshoot and Schnork, it started making some sense to me. i’ve never had a synth that worked quite like that so it’s a little out of what i’m used to.

mentioning that it’s similar to other Twisted Electron synths i checked the video for another recent one of theirs the Therapkid and i’m guessing this is the same thing. about 2:30 minutes into this video in case anyone else is unsure: https://youtu.be/QR2hT7i8UMU

Manual is up:

9 Likes

Ohhhhh

Short read! A work in progress (16 pages) but cool voice modes so far.

Thanks for sharing

1 Like

Looks like they expanded the preset memory to 100, not sure if that has been noticed already but the manual says it ships with 100 presets.

6 Likes

Juicy upgrade! Weird that it wouldn’t be a full size bank though, 127 or whatever.

1 Like

I think it’s limited because of the 2 digit display i.e. 00 to 99

just pre-ordered, has there been any news or new info released?

The only new thing I’ve noticed is it’s now 600 presets and there’s a draft manual on the site. Haven’t heard any more about the discussed multi-timbrality possibilities.

1 Like

I wish these boxes were robust like the MKI series. They Chinad out with the MKII and MKIII’s

Seems that they’ve got more time to work on it at least since it won’t come until at least after the 2nd week of April.