Twisted Electrons Blastbeats

FM aficionado here :wave:

It’s most definitely the OPL3 chip, which was used on the Soundblaster 16 soundcards. The parameters and available waveforms are identical to what the chip has to offer. OPL3 is actually a favorite of mine, it has a really nice crunchy character and Yamaha condensed the FM controls quite well.

As for the drums mentioned, the OPL3 has a drum mode which is most likely what this machine incorporates as well. The drums are quite dinky but charming.

If you want to get an idea of how it sounds like I recommend checking out Adlibtracker 2 or DiscoDSP’s VST emulation.

25 Likes

I thought Yamaha used that OPL3 chip also in their PSS Keyboard range, like the PSS570?

5 Likes

Linux versions for both, ace.
Thanks for the links!

2 Likes

Yeah, I might have to download adlibtracker SDL and have a go with it.

Is the reason there seem to be no controls for the hats because the chip has no editable parameters for the hats?

1 Like

oh yea, slap that board on the workbench

As someone who was excited for the MegaFM but then realized it was a bit too harsh, I’m very interested in this! One step closer to my dream of controlling a ym2608 (OPNA) with some hardware. If they succeed in making this a multi track device with a percussion section that’d be sick.

2 Likes

I was thinking when assessing the info on this product that you would be knowledgeable of its origins. :slight_smile:

The idea of FM drums, with an additional 4 tracks of synth, is quite enticing. Also, I’m seeing what looked like a full grip of CV patch points on the back…

Or it could be individual outs, I can’t tell lol

2 Likes

I’m not so familiar with the soundblaster Yamaha chips but usually the percussion channels were pcm samples. Of course TE could set up the 6 monophonic fm channel controls with percussion sounds in mind, kinda like the rytm or lxr sound potions machine. That’d be really fun.

The PCM drums were done by a different chip. I would be already happy when they use a SID emulation for this…

1 Like

I think this is going to be an analog drum synth, similar to Vermona DRM but with a sequencer and mixing controls like the Yamaha RX5.

I don’t care if it’s already been guessed, I’ve just found my headcanon.

1 Like
13 Likes

That sounds cool as fuck. I really want one now.

15 hours until the reveal. It’s almost certainly called Blast Beats, because that product page exists and is currently password protected.

5 Likes

I see Solo, Prob.

Stutter, Bend and Freeze in the Trick section.

2 Likes

BlastBeats is a 10 voice groove box offering 6 drum voices and 4 synth instruments.
Price 599,00 Euros for a pre-order for a limited first batch expected to ship by February 2022.

12 Likes

The product page is live now, with a long list of specs

3 Likes

Wow, I really find this insane (in a good meaning).
I was planning to buy a Digitone next year after having hesitate a long time with the Mega FM (I really like this dirty gritty sound of the MegaFM but the flexibility and p lock abilities of the DIgitone won at the end).
And now there is the BlastBeats, which has this typical gritty sound of the Mega FM with a true sequencer, randomness, plocks, etc… For me, it just miss LFOs but I have an Octatrack and Axoloti that can both provide many LFOs. And the price is very good imo.
Right now, I’m really hesitating to pre order it…

3 Likes