Twisted Electrons Blastbeats

An FM drummachine or groove box with both synth and drums?

1 Like

Looks like it’s both. I wonder where that LED matrix is and if they really included Octopus features.
There seem to be only a few FM Algos. Reduced compared to the Mega FM.

5 vs 8

Thread set to: Tracking

4 Likes

Looks like it might have 10 tracks. Hopefully! :joy:

2 Likes

Slightly related:

If you haven’t heard of Ken Shirriff, he has some amazing videos on YT (and CuriousMarc !)

1 Like

Yeah from looking at it now I think the octopus may have just been used as a prop in the promo video, considering you see other eurorack stuff in the second shot.

1 Like

ran it through an online “AI enhancer” which did almost nothing but maybe cleaned up some of the text…anyway, overlaying what i’m pretty sure the bits are saying. uncertain stuff is “? ?” and i didn’t bother with the more obvious bits…lower right corner is in the video i think?

anyway you’ll notice the lines above each set of sliders connect between ‘bd carrier’ and ‘bd modulator’ which makes sense…but then ‘snare’ and ‘bass tom/? ?’ are each separate (also not sure that says ‘bass’ before tom…the text after is maybe oh/ch? just guessing). then the synth op1 -4 are all connected with that line above them. i’m assuming this means something but maybe not? first thoughts are that there are 4 ‘voices’ at all times…a bass drum voice, a snare voice, a tom/others voice, and a synth voice. given this is based on some chips as mentioned above, perhaps each is one chip? (idk how that works tbh).

already into speculation out of my depth so i’ll shut up and post for now :slight_smile: maybe some of y’all are seeing the rest i couldn’t make out

3 Likes

Cymbal ?

121221 just sounds like the release date, not the name of the synth

4 Likes

Oooh looky. Interesting!

The name will be something with „…beats“

Given that the chip comes from a Sound Blaster… Blast Beats? (let’s hope not)

6 Likes

I’m not sure I can feel excited by the prospect of a Sound Blaster-based drum machine but I respect thee guys for making some really interesting stuff.

I wouldn’t overrate the SB connection.
I’m sure this chip can be put to funky use.

Think M:C, with more controls, perhaps minus the effects part.

Edit: weren’t Akemie’s Castle/Taiko based on OPL3? Those are pretty funky.

Now you’re talking. :smiley:

The algorithms in M:C are well tailored to form special ‘machines’ / instruments, though, so I’m not sure how apt this comparison really is.

But same basic principles.

Or Mega Beats (as a „family“ with Mega FM) ?

1 Like

Someone’s making an OPL3-based synth: :open_mouth:

It’s a drum machine: :sleeping:

2 Likes

Kilo < Mega < Giga

Obviously it’s GIGA BEATS

1 Like

or Mega Teats.

Shit, I think you’re right.
Look at the upside-down image. :upside_down_face:

2 Likes