Tutorial - How to create Sample Loops with Crossfades

I wanted to share a workflow tip in how to create sustained samples that seamlessly loop using the sample editor to bake in your own crossfade.

1. Choose a Flex Machine (Flex allows full sample editing)
  2. Load or record a sound that you want to sustain (i.e… Pads, strings or environmental sounds) The sample shouldn’t fade in or out, capture or edit an existing sample that has roughly equal amplitude from the beginning and end.
  3. Turn Looping to On (not PIPO) and Time Stretch to Off
  4. Enter the Sample Editor
  5. Enter the Slice page and create a slice grid of 2
  6. Slice One (Depending on the sample length) Choose a range that is between 0.20 - 1sec from the beginning.
  7. Slice Two, Do the same but adjust the range from the end of the sample doubling the range above
  8. Enter the Edit page (You’ll notice that using slices is a convenient way to select a range quickly)
  9. Press ‘Enter’ and choose ‘Fade Out’ from the menu
  10. Press ‘Enter’ again and choose ‘Copy Selection’
  11. Go back to the Slice Page and select Slice One (Left Arrow Button)
  12. Go Back to the ‘Edit Page’
  13. Press Enter and Choose ‘Fade In’
  14. Press Enter and choose ‘Change Paste Mode’ (Very important step!)
  15. Choose ‘Mix 0db’
  16. Press Enter and Choose ‘Paste Selection’
  17. Back to Slice Mode, Select the second slice (Right Arrow)
  18. Return to the Edit Page and Press Enter, Choose ‘Delete Selection’

Enjoy!

For good results, the beginning range should be half the size of the range used for the end.

18 Likes

That’s pretty neat! I remember FT2 (on PC) had a semi-automated way to generate fades around loop points and I always wanted the OT to have that too. I never gave it enough thought to come up with a simple procedure like this. Very useful tip!!

1 Like

Cheers. Funny that you mentioned FT2, I first got the idea when I was dabbling with Octamed Sound Studio last year and wrote an automated Script using AREXX to create xfades.

1 Like

that’s neat! I have been using a similar method with crossfades to create seamless loops on computer, but doing it directly on OT is even more practical

1 Like