TURBO MIDI (with no negociating)

Hi everyone,

I want to control my OT with another MIDI device with TURBO MIDI (speed up the midi to avoid midi latency problems).

Do you know if it’s possible to slave an OT via TURBO midi, with an non-Elektron gear? I’m making my own

Anybody into DIY ever tried that? Is the TURBO midi compatible only with elektron gear?

Thanks a lot for your help :slight_smile:

The Turbo protocol only works when both the sending and receiving devices implement the protocol.

A very few non-Elektron devices do implement the protocol (Engine and MiniCommand, as far as I know?). Presumably you have to know the protocol details in order to implement it: Elektron will supply it on request.

Thanks a lot, I think that this protocol is not described so I can’t use it.

I was thinking to a way to simply increase the baudrate of the midi (for example x8), and set on my Octatrack that the speed is x8.

Again, I believe that Elektron will send you the protocol if you request it from them.

Yes Peter is right. The protocol specification is available from Elektron if you ask.
There is also a C++ example written by Wesen in the MIDI Ctrl Framework

Some pointers.
The frequency of the micro controller you use will affect the possible speeds of the UART Midi connection.

For example 16MHz clock can only sync at 2x,4x and 8x.
The opto-coupler you select for your MIDI design needs to be fast enough to support the protocol speed you intend to connect at.

Cheers,

• Justin
1 Like

Thanks a lot, this is exactly what I was looking for!

I use a powerfull micro controller and a faster optocoupler, so it won’t be a problem :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hello,
I’ve tried to understand how to use Turbo MIDI in my setup but after reading the manual and searching on the forum, I’m still confused.

I’ve got the RYTM and the A4 (both mk1) hooked up together but I have never been able to engage Turbo MIDI (blank check box, no way to engage).
I’ve tried Cuckoo’s tip about Auto Channel not being on 1, and another person mentioned needing both units connected via both MIDI IN and MIDI OUT jacks but still no luck.

I don’t experience any serious issues with the sync between the two as is but I would like to hear the difference myself and see if Turbo feels tighter.

Thank you!

That is a fundamental prerequisite - it’s impossible to negotiate unless the In > Out is bi-directional so be sure that you have DIN midi enabled
Never been an issue with me to get 10x connection, but I don’t really see the need to use it either

So you don’t notice any difference in the sync? I noticed that the A4 drifts a little here and there so I wasn’t sure if the Turbo settings would prevent that.

I just don’t feel the need and a fluctuating clock sounds like a good thing to me in a general ‘keeping it real’ sense, there’s no Turbo MIDI for a trinity or with other gear anyway - either way it should work and it may have advantages for each user - ymmv