Tuning drums for melodies

When trying to use a drum to create a bassline i find it hard to tune it properly. As i shorten the in and out parameters the pitch rises. I have then been tuning by ear but am not always sure i have it perfect. I believe i also had this issue with kick samples.

What machine do you guys find best for smooth rolandish basslines. Not deep 808 tom basslines. Looking for smooth and melodic.

2 Likes

sh-101 / mc-202

I’d usually turn off the analog channel n use samples in loop mode as single cycle waveforms. I sold my rytm ages ago but that’s what I used to do (I think) :slight_smile:

I just used my ear to tune it once and it’s done. can be good with bass to tune it an octave up and then drop it down 12.

I run the sounds into the DAW using a tuner and spectrum analyzer on the track to show me where to shift it to the harmonics I’m looking for.

1 Like

Cool. Will do

BD sharp with all the sweep values turned off and dec set to full. There’s lots of nice harmics using the diagonal line … I think its a saw … and the curvey diagonal line.

It tunes perfect to C at 0

3 Likes

I like BD sharp and plastic for basslines, can def get some rolandish sounds out of them. Check this tuning table by @William_WiLD, v useful -

https://www.elektronauts.com/files/419

Some good tips in this thread -

Also really like some of the sounds included in the New Blood pack -

2 Likes

wow, thanks for that!

3 Likes