Tunable LFOs for FM!

Just saw the video showing the new OS features.

This is awesome! Thanks elektron!

Yeah it’s going to open up a whole new way of working. I hope there’s a new sound pack to go with the update!

i don’t understand it… so I don’t know what I can expect…

With the upcoming update, the LFO can be tuned(set pitch frequency) just like a normal OSC. Which means it can do FM by choosing one of the regular OSC as the destination for the LFO

…or fiter FM

Where can we see this?

Probably this one:

(Skip at 12:50 for LFO and probability stuff)

(But where’s RYTMs Ring-Mod BD?!? :D)

With the upcoming update, the LFO can be tuned(set pitch frequency) just like a normal OSC. Which means it can do FM by choosing one of the regular OSC as the destination for the LFO[/quote]
Sort of … Not explicitly tunable to frequency, but linked to Oscillator frequency, so LFO 1 can be linked to tempo of sequencer, or nothing (disconnected, so nominal tempo) or to Osc1 pitch (not keytrack). To do nice FM the oscillators will need Linear modulation along with the current exponential pitch mod. The LFOs have limited range and have coarse freq tuning which is why Jimmy refers to it as ‘sort of FM’ in the video, don’t expect a DX :slight_smile: huge addition to palette though, nice use of fade in the demo

1 Like

So the A4 and Rytm finally get the fill function, which OT users already had under the name “one shot trigs”…

Not sure what to expect from the new LFO but I was more excited about the extra layer feature via the page button and the probability… Pretty cool to be able to do that to external gear as well i recon.

Please forgive me if this has been answered, but the trig probability updates will also work with the CV track correct?

all trigs, all tracks, so yep - trigless locks too

I don’t see why they would not, as the note page is the same for the CV track as it is the voice tracks.

Really looking forward to it. Ordering a new drum/sample trigger module tomorrow to use with CV triggers and this plus the new fills feature will help a ton.

That Roland TM-2? Will you share the setup here and what you can do with it from A4’s perspective?

That Roland TM-2? Will you share the setup here and what you can do with it from A4’s perspective? [/quote]
Yes.
I can do that.

Thanx for the replies avantronica and Adam Jay. Just wanted to be sure. Looking forward to this update!

filter FM is what I’m mostly looking for because you can use the self osc filter as a sin carrier. So with LFOs tracking pitch you get a simple 3 operator FM engine in 2>1 and/or 1>1>1 configurations.

I just hope there’s a way to increase the resolution of the LFO outputs and internal LFO cross mod for better quality modulations (right now anything faster than the 512k speed setting sounds pretty choppy and low quality)…but even if this is not possible it’s already a great addition to the sounds you can take from engine. Actually I think the A4 character is perfect for FM sounds.

2 Likes

all trigs, all tracks, so yep - trigless locks too [/quote]
Said with authority :wink:

How about Parameter / Note Slide trigs?

How high does the Modulo go - ie. How many times can the trig be passed before it actually trigs? 4? 16? 256?

Apologies if you can’t say. Very excited for the update!

all trigs, all tracks, so yep - trigless locks too [/quote]
How about Parameter / Note Slide trigs?

How high does the Modulo go - ie. How many times can the trig be passed before it actually trigs? 4? 16?[/quote]
I like your thinking, but i wouldn’t imagine those would be targeted. It makes for an interesting idea though, possible FR?. I’d say they used a very simple bit mask to store those (accent/swing/slide/mute etc), and unlike the main sequencer data, it may not be so simple for Elektron to include (in this round). Plus whilst it may be good for those, it may be odd it wouldn’t apply logically to mutes (handy for Accents maybe). You can see from the video the Trig Conditions are on the Trig page which is lockable for any sequencer trig types.
Couldn’t really see the count going quite as high as that fwiw. Could be a few surprises in there option wise. Should be obvious through Namm if this is dropping soon, they can’t hide or dodge the questions, assuming folks can try it out as it is - although they do run specific show OS versions as opposed to private/public betas or release versions - so you never know !

1 Like

Oh.
My.
God.

Elektrons I love you.

Here my first 5 mins with new OS (strictly A4 and modular). Listen to that FM sweep…