Triggering slices with midi notes?

wow would be so cool to program the new launchpad pro to do exactly the same thing!

1 Like

Yep. With Event Processor Plusā€¦

Aw, sorry it wasnā€™t reusable. Well, if you have a Novation Launchpad laying around I have a little app I started writing (my first C program lol!) to solve this problem, but itā€™s not ready for the big time yet. I just havenā€™t made it a priority to work on lately - well, that and Iā€™m insecure because Iā€™ve never put up any source code for public consumption before :wink:

The possibility of extra parameters piqued my interest too. I have some ideas around that.

Iā€™m really stoked that I gave you some inspiration :slight_smile: Thanks for making it come to life, I was afraid I just alienated everyone with my explanation.

1 Like

alienate some, interest others. donā€™t sweat it.

some people just want a solution for this - which is understandable. itā€™d be great if it was a feature that just worked.

let us know how you get on with the launchpad pro. i know a few people whoā€™d be interested in seeing that work.

Oh yeah, if I ever get a Pro I will definitely keep you posted! Iā€™m actually keeping it cheap and cheery for now with a Launchpad Mini as the controller/display and a Raspberry Pi for all the heavy lifting. That makes it more accessible for me and hopefully for everyone else :slight_smile: I have a run-of-the-mill MIDI interface talking to the OT so that adds another device to lug around but it all easily fits in a backpack without needing a screen (thatā€™s the idea anyway).

Have not had the time to work on it lately but itā€™s the first thing on my mind. Iā€™m away from the studio at the moment and wonā€™t be back until after Christmas but Iā€™ll keep you posted!

Also just to clarify, Iā€™m using the cheapo launchpad mini - whichever models send the note data for that should work. Hopefully Iā€™ll support more controllers laterā€¦

Actually depending on how much interest there is, I might throw up the Node code I had for this somewhere (e.g. github). I was having some serious issues with the MIDI libraries on ARM so I decided to stick with C but I did have the slice thing working in Node, at least in OSX.

1 Like

Oops. I just deleted my post somehow. :zonked:
Coolness. Anxious to see if someone gets the Launchpad (any sort) to trigger slicesā€¦ Until I read this it was totally off my radar, but now that Iā€™ve watched a few video reviews etc, I think it would make a pretty great companion for the whole trinityā€¦ Especially the Pro, because you can customize it so much. :slight_smile:

Aww fudge. I just read that you need to use up a couple of scenes to do this. Thatā€™s kind of a bummer.
I still donā€™t understand why this isnā€™t a feature that someone thought might be useful when first coding the OT. Definitely not designed by people who like to a) finger drum, or b) play keyboards. :disappointed:
Sorry. Just expressing my frustration with the OS supposedly being ā€œdoneā€.

Hey, good call on this device. Might be worth looking into. One could then use any midi keyboard, I presume.

Actually I just remembered that I had another idea a couple days ago for triggering slices. Not sure whether this will work (and if not it may have been mentioned already), but this one wouldnā€™t require burning 2 scenes if you donā€™t want to. I donā€™t have my Octatrack handy (traveling on vacation) so I havenā€™t been able to test it but those with the right MIDI tools might want to try it:

OT SETUP

• Set the targeted trackā€™s slice to 1
  • Set one of the LFOs to square, at speed multiplier 1, at speed 1 (0 might work too, canā€™t remember), and set its target to slice #

MIDI PROCESSOR SETUP

• Pick a range of 64 notes
  • For all notes in that range:
    • Send MIDI note to trigger the target track
    • Send MIDI CC to set the LFOā€™s DEPTH to the note number within that range
1 Like

Also any Renoise users may want to try the Lua scripting built in to do the MIDI processing. Among the many options Iā€™ve tried for MIDI processing, its performance is near the top!

did it work?

Nope :frowning: Same effect as the regular slice CC. Which surprises me considering how fast/well the OT handles LFOs. This would seem to indicate that only goes for already assigned LFOs - the depth at least doesnā€™t update any faster than the slice CC.

1 Like

I see there are other guys/gils here trying the sameā€¦
My weapon of choice is a Korg padKontrol. No luck, but if anyone has an idea, I will listen.

Bump. :-/

Working on it! Had a snag with the MIDI library I was using and I found a workaround a couple weeks ago.

Iā€™m also trying to make this controller more modular so that it opens up other possibilities besides just playing slices. So, itā€™s going a little slower. But I know this slice thing has the most interest right now, so Iā€™ll try to figure out what the minimum viable product with it, plus some other small things I want to gauge reactions to, is going to look like.

1 Like

Hey License. Other License here is eagerly awaiting your solution. I just got a quneo and was bummed that I couldnā€™t script it to trigger slices, so Iā€™m eager to see what you come up with. Iā€™d lend a hand if I knew the first thing about coding. Godspeed.

Upppppp!

I havenā€™t forgotten thisā€¦ very far from it. Hopefully I push something usable to GitHub before I die :skull:

1 Like

Hi. I tried the pattern trick with Mpc 1000 jjos2xl, sending cc48, cc48, note, but it doesnā€™t work with Note Repeat and Timing Correct. Slice mode worked too.

I used a Yamaha Mep4 midi processor (I could use my Midi Event Processor). I chose note numbers corresponding to Cc48 and Cc17 (0,2,4,6,etc), convert notes to Cc48 and Cc17 and voilĆ . In that way I can use Note Repeat and TC, this can be done with any midi device sending notes and a midi processor.

Easy to record on the Mpc and realtime modification in sync with Note Repeat, Arpegios, Random Cycle, etcā€¦

Once youā€™ve finished you can record it on the OT.

4 Likes