Triggering slices with midi notes?

thanks

your method won’t work just with note to cc mapping in a readymade box like event processor plus?

http://www.midisolutions.com/prodepp.htm

1 Like

Sure, as long as it can do note to two CCs, and then another note, in order.

1 Like

If you have loop set to on, the slice will loop. If loop is set to off or auto, the slice won’t loop.
[/quote]
Sorry. Miscommunication on my part. I’m refering to a long single note in a chain of multisamples, not a loop. I have many multisample chains of pianos, etc. and wanted to know how they would behave if played. :slight_smile: Thanks, though.[/quote]
It doesn’t matter if the sample is a chain of loops or a chain of single shots, if you go to the playback setup menu (function + playback) and you turn loop to on, the sample will loop.

[/quote]
I understand that. But if I only want the note to sound for the length of time that I’m holding the trig, say an eighth note, out of a note that lasts say a whole note, will it only play for the length of time I’m holding it? Or will it continue to sound for the entire whole note of the slice? Does that make sense? I only want it to be the quarter note, ie. only sounding when I’m holding the trig… like an actual piano or keyboard would behave.[/quote]
You can adjust the length of the note with Hold and Release times.
The sound will play until you let go if you set it that way (assuming your sample is long enough) or you can shorten the hold time to get short staccato notes. Plays just fine with a midi controller
Unfortunately, the audio track sequencer doesn’t record the note lengths, so you’ve got to do some fudging with p-locks and hold/release time if you have varied length notes. Alternately, you can record overdub and scroll around with the hold/release time to tweak this setting on the fly, real time. And another thing you can do is to record your take to a flex recorder instead of the grid sequencer and this will capture exactly what you are playing.

[/quote]
I now own an OT but can’t seem to get it to behave in this manner. The note seems to continue after I let go (when playing slices). Can you please tell me what setting I need to change? Can’t seem to pinpoint it.

Do you have looping of the sample switched on?

[quote="“PeterHanes”"]

Do you have looping of the sample switched on?[/quote]
I do not. With loop on, would it not continue indefinitely? I’m just looking to play the slice while I’m holding the trig, and for it to be silent when I let go (in slice triggering mode).

I do not. With loop on, would it not continue indefinitely? I’m just looking to play the slice while I’m holding the trig, and for it to be silent when I let go (in slice triggering mode).[/quote]
Did you set up slices in the wave editor? If you have, when you’re in slice trigger mode, some (or all) of the squares in the bottom-right quarter of the window should be white (instead of slashed out) and some (or all) of your trig keys should be lit up green. Also if you have set more than 16 slices, you should be able to hit the Page key to trig slices above #16.

1 Like

I do not. With loop on, would it not continue indefinitely? I’m just looking to play the slice while I’m holding the trig, and for it to be silent when I let go (in slice triggering mode).[/quote]
Did you set up slices in the wave editor? If you have, when you’re in slice trigger mode, some (or all) of the squares in the bottom-right quarter of the window should be white (instead of slashed out) and some (or all) of your trig keys should be lit up green. Also if you have set more than 16 slices, you should be able to hit the Page key to trig slices above #16[/quote]
Playing the slices trig mode works fine for me, but when I am playing it, the notes continue playing when I let go of the trigs, whereas musicmagus said they would not. They appear to not work in your typical Note On/Note Off fashion, as a keyboard would. Not the biggest deal, but just thought I’d point it out in case anyone else wondered about it. (And in hopes that someone would know a way to change such behavior.) :slight_smile:

Set release to 0 in the amp section?

2 Likes

Bingo! Thank you, kind 'lektronaut! :smiley:

1 Like

so i’ve got this slice triggering thing working via MIDI using the JJOS on the MPC1000 to create patterns that can be triggered via pads.

for those who don’t know/don’t have one - the patterns can be made up of any kind of data, CC’s, notes, expression, pitch bend blah blah blah.

the problem i’m facing is the same as you all - and thanks for all the pioneering work here!

it works well when sending either:

CC17 plus incremental values and a Note to trigger.

CC48 (crossfader set to start/end like license suggested) plus incremental values and a Note to trigger.

problems…

CC17 is much laggier and the note has to be offset significantly (CC msg at 01.01.01, note cannot before 01.01.03 or it will retrigger previous slice - not sure how many ms that equates to) BUT the sequencer can record the incoming data and play back your (laggy) performance.

CC48 is waaaaay quicker, almost perfect for playback… but as we all know crossfader data cannot be recorded by the sequencer.

i’m going to try combining the two but i assume it will be hella slow.

any thoughts from the midi slice trig masterminds? or anyone with a 1k using it this way?

thoughts, help, abuse all welcome.

:slight_smile:

2 Likes

forgot to say…

i actually had better results NOT using slice mode, but just adjusting start point parameters WITHOUT slicing the file.

nahmean??

wow! so combining the two CC msgs works! it responds reasonably quickly, not great for rolls on hits that are a significant distance apart in the chain/sample.

AND it records the data so it can be played back!

WIN.

if any MPC1000 users (or other folks) want more info, just respond and i’ll talk more about how i did it.

pretty chuffed with this!

2 Likes

Tomes-I’m interested. I’ve been meaning to explore the pattern to pad option of JJOS2XL.

So…go on… :joy:

sure thing accent. :slight_smile:

if you’ve used seq to pattern before you’ll know how easy it is.

i used step edit. insert two CC values and one note on step 01.01.01.

first CC is 48, data value 0
second is 17, data value 0
note is whichever corresponds to triggering the track you’re using (i use track 7 so i think it’s 41 - check the manual)

they need to be in this order - cc48, cc17, then note. other orders cause problems. even though they are all on 01.01.01 they still need to be in the correct order.

hit MODE and hit TO PATTERN. seq will convert to a pattern.

hit MODE and then P.STATS to assign different pad modes to the pads. (you can also do this in the main screen of OS2XL

rinse and repeat with incremental values.

e.g.
CC48, data value 4
CC17, data value 4
same note value.

CC48, data value 8
CC17, data value 8
same note.

etc etc

convert each one to a patttern.

I set up 16 pads with increments of 4, but this is for a 64 bar sample - so it depends on how long your sample is. the nice thing about pad mode assign page on 2XL is that you can have ‘sets’ and scroll through pages of setups (each with the usual 4 banks) so you can setup as many things as you like.

i am going to make some templates for triggering certain structures (i.e. ‘slice’ 4 on bar 1, slice 2 on bar 3 etc etc.) you can set these to loop or be oneshots on 2XL so it can open up some nice possibilities.

two things to remember:

i am NOT using slice mode, just moving start points manually.

i am using license’s idea about crossfader data which means you need to setup two scenes as he described. easiest way is to use a new part - switch to it when sending data in, switch back when you want the data to play back.

anyway… hopefully that helps.

any thoughts or questions, let me know.

cheers!

1 Like

any thoughts or questions, let me know.

cheers!

a video? :joy:

probly not. :slight_smile:

[quote="“tomes”"]

probly not. :slight_smile: [/quote]
well… i’ll make a video of it working, but not one of the process of setting it up. it’s pretty straight forward if you already have an mpc 1K and OS2XL

here’s that video. :slight_smile:

slices being triggered by the MPC around the 6 minute mark.

cheers.

Cool idea using JJ patterns although that’s a fair amount of setup. Fortunately once you have that template, it should be applicable for any OT slice playback going forward.

hey license,

yeah unfortunately not - the pattern i’ve generated contains a MIDI note which is specific to track 7, and CC data specific to a point in that track…

so any subsequent patterns need to built separately for tracks and start points etc.

nice thing is that they can also include extra data - filter position, amp decay, reverb send etc… so with some planning they can be quite versatile.

so, yeah… thanks for all the legwork you did on this, as it was your planning and ideas that i stole to try to get this working on the MPC.

thanks for the inspiration!

1 Like