Triggering slices with midi notes?

• can’t you configure your MPDs to send discrete CC values per pad? then use bluewolfse7en’s approach.

it’s seems to be more of an akai problem than elektron’s…

i have no problem at all triggering slices (sample start point when in slice mode) via CC with TouchOSC… i can even make buttons/pads using these discrete CC values.
the CC for that is in the manual (CC17, playback parameter no.2)
if you want to use “dumb” (sorry, non-programmable) pad controllers to trigger slices,you could hack it using certain software to remap notes to CCs. (midibridge on ios or bome on osx, etc.)

1 Like

am i getting it right? you need to send 2 midi communicates: one with a C3 and the other with the proper CC number and value, corresponding to the wanted slice number?

[update] As far as i know, the MPD32 can only send note and program change data from the pads. only the knobs and faders can send CC.

Have you experimented any more with this, wolf? Using one P3/CK pattern per slice works, but is a bit of a hassle and slow workaround, when you have say 64 slices or so. P-locking with aux sends is all over the place, as you said, so no good using that.

While I’m sure there’s a workaround to turn midi note data into CC this isn’t typically how 99% of samplers work. Samples are usually triggered by external devices via midi notes.

your workaround for the MPD would be:

• select the slice of the sample to be triggered with a knob or fader (assigned to CC17 on the MIDI channel you require)
  • trigger the sample from a pad (assigned to C3 (or appropriate note) on the midi channel you require)

not ideal, i know.

am i getting it right? you need to send 2 midi communicates: one with a C3 and the other with the proper CC number and value, corresponding to the wanted slice number?

[update] As far as i know, the MPD32 can only send note and program change data from the pads. only the knobs and faders can send CC.
[/quote]
your workaround for the MPD would be:

• select the slice of the sample to be triggered with a knob or fader (assigned to CC17 on the MIDI channel you require)
  • trigger the sample from a pad (assigned to C3 (or appropriate note) on the midi channel you require)

not ideal, i know.
[/quote]
Hmm, getting an MPD next week, so need to try that out. Didn’t really work all that well with the Cirklon.
Bloody annoying, this thing. The Octatrack is like this incredible machine which can clean your clothes, take your kids to school, pay your bills and walk the dog - but can it make coffee? Nope. Damnit. :wink:

Triggering slices with midi notes would be a blast using max/msp to send probability sequences to the octatrack

2 Likes

With all that can be done with slices in general, I would really like a slice machine. It would be nice to have many of the functions needed for sliced samples easily at hand. There needs to be a slicker way to slice the buffer for live goodness.

Each slice to its own midi note please, ASAP.

1 Like

I totally get you. wasting an mpd knob on the start parameter is IMO useless. the MPD + OT combo really shines in a live setup. I’ve got a nifty mapping scheme which is basically:
2 faders to ‘deck’ volume
6 faders to lo, mid and high amount in DJ EQ for both ‘decks’ (with the max level capped at 64)
2 buttons for ‘deck’ queueing
pads to sample trigs, knobs to LP filter base,width,q and delay amount x2 for two ‘decks’.
WORKS LIKE CHARM.

1 Like

I totally get you. wasting an mpd knob on the start parameter is IMO useless. the MPD + OT combo really shines in a live setup. I’ve got a nifty mapping scheme which is basically:
2 faders to ‘deck’ volume
6 faders to lo, mid and high amount in DJ EQ for both ‘decks’ (with the max level capped at 64)
2 buttons for ‘deck’ queueing
pads to sample trigs, knobs to LP filter base,width,q and delay amount x2 for two ‘decks’.
WORKS LIKE CHARM.
[/quote]
Sounds like fun. Care to share the sysex file or whatever kind of file it is? Just go the MPD today, and trying to get to grips with it. :slight_smile:

my mpd and the sucky 3rd party companion app have a veeeery difficult relationship (i programmed the preset directly on the mpd in no more than 10 minutes) but as soon as i figure out a way to dump the .syx, i’ll post it right away!

Cool, no worries. :slight_smile: I’m not a big fan of the Vysex editor either, didn’t know you could get around the MPD without using it, so thanks for that tip! :slight_smile:

+1 again for midi triggering of slices… would be great to be able to hook up an MPD to the octatrack for real time recording of slice sequences…

2 Likes

Yes. It would totally complete the OT in my opinion.

2 Likes

Come on !!! :sleepy:

it can be done if you have a device capable of sending two midi commands simultaneously ! - search here for the very recent thread - covered earlier in this thread too

You guys should really look at getting. Midipal - they’re S cheap as shit and boy are they useful.

Does anybody of you know the code to set this up in MidiBridge?

http://www.audeonic.com/mb_sbyter.shtml

Say we would like to use channel 16 to trigger slices on the active track, say, channel 11. MidiBridge then has to do the following things:

1. Clone note events on channel 16 to CC slice number (I fear that 64 lines are needed for 64 slices, but it should be worth the effort
  2. Then, fix all note events on channel 16 to note C3
  3. Finally, change the channel of all events on ch 16 to 11 (X15=X10)

What’s the code to do that? :slight_smile:

In my opinion, playing slices and slots via MIDI is the one and only feature that the OT is really lacking! Even the A4 can do that. Did they forget the OT? Anyways, a workaround with an iPhone plugged in between is better than nothing.

EDIT: can slots be selected via MIDI (i.e., scroll through the sample list)?

I’ve followed the posts (thanks to you guys for the pointers) using Max for Live and it is working.

A lighter version (without Ableton/Max) should be doable as well. As long as a delay is inserted between setting the slice CC and playing the chromatic note, this seems to work fine (~20ms).

Here’s the Max device for Ableton 9:

http://www.elektronauts.com/files/download/55

(v0.2 interface change and overhaul)

INSTRUCTIONS:

IN ABLETON:
Drop this onto a MIDI track in Ableton.
Make the IO (ins/outs) visible on the mixer.
Select your MIDI controller as the Ableton track’s In.
Set the MIDI out to wherever the OT is plugged in.
Set the track’s MIDI out channel to your OT auto channel.
Highlight Monitor “In”
Highlight the Track Activator

ON OCTATRACK:

Turn on “Audio CC” under project>MIDI>control.
Select an OT track with a sliced and linear locked sample on it.
You can be in play, stopped, paused, grid, or live record mode, and any trigger mode.

USAGE:

On your MIDI controller note 36 should play slice 1 of the active track.
Change it with the “Basenote” parameter. Slices are now on consecutive notes.

Slicemode can be deactivated to use regular OT MIDI.

Increase the “Delay” parameter if notes ever play the wrong slices.

5 Likes