Triggering slices with midi notes?

Pretty sure. @qlamerand can confirm?

So having done some further messing around with the mappings, I can assign various start positions to a number of pads, but still have to trigger the sample with another pad thatā€™s assigned solely for that. Not at all elegant but think itā€™s as good as it will be until I get the rk cable

Thatā€™s the thing, you have to send a note that triggers the sample at the same time.
I didnā€™t understand that you already have the LPP. You should be able to assign CC48 followed by note C6 (84) with it.

Iā€™d try before buying an RK002 if itā€™s just for thatā€¦

Sorry for wrecking your head!

As much as I can see, unless itā€™s something obvious that Iā€™m missing - which is clearly possible - the two canā€™t be mapped to the same pad, at least with the mapping software from novation.

The polyphony that the cable enables on the digitakt, which Iā€™m guessing applies to the OT as well?, is somewhat appealing but it is basically just to play back the slices as you would on an mpc, etcā€¦

The same as everyone in this thread I suppose!

Yep. If youā€™re also interested in that feature, buy the RK002!

Probably with another methodā€¦

Sorry for the late reply. It was my sonā€™s birthday yesterday. So yes itā€™s easy to send both CC and note messages on a pad press but from what I recall when I worked on a OT controller prototype for the LPP, t he messages were sent consequently and the OT didnā€™t have the time to handle the CC before triggering the sample with the note message. Maybe it would have worked with a little time between the two.

Thank you for replying, hope it was a good day.

Iā€™ve had a look through the launchpadā€™s programmerā€™s guide and not getting the info I hoped, would you have any advice on where to look if I was to try and do this myself?

1 Like

Big party I hope. :content:

CC17 or CC48? Doesnā€™t work with CC17 only.

It definitely works with consecutive CC48+Note, or CC17+CC48+Note if you want to record slices. Canā€™t tell about LPP, should work, because it worked with at least 3 of my midi processors, MPC 1000.

2 Likes

Ok I finally found the code I worked on (it was on bitbucket, not github). Youā€™re right itā€™s only CC17 I was sending. But wait a minute, isnā€™t CC48 for the crossfader? Do you mean you have to set two scenes with Slice 1 on the left and Slice 64 on the right?
Unfortunately I donā€™t I have my OT anymore to test it. I mean it, I never should have sold it (for the second time !!!).

Exactly.

:scream:

3 Likes

Weeell well, update 1.4 finally did it huh, after all these years :stuck_out_tongue:

6 Likes

Yeah, thatā€™s such a big one! Endless workaround discussions in this and the previous forum, and now it just works out of the box, unbelievable! Case closed, thanks Elektron.

4 Likes

Bye thread.

hmm, Iā€™ve been reading the new manual with the updated OS and I still canā€™t figure it outā€¦ :face_vomiting: I must be trippingā€¦

I got it!
So their manual is wrong. The slices start triggering at C-1! (C minus 1)
NOT C-0!!

ā€œMIDIā€ - ā€œCONTROLā€ - ā€œAUDIO NOTE INā€ - select map/track
Then exit.
hold ā€œMIDIā€ + ā€œUP/DOWNā€ to enter map mode.

1 Like

Unfortunately, I think C0 is not uniformly defined across MIDI devices

5 Likes

Why? :smile:
Well, OP should precise it is possible to start from 1.40 release post!

1 Like

I discussed and hoped different mappings, but Elektron team decision concerning Slices notes was apparently focused on Analog Rytm note range, from C0 for OT (C1 for AR, start of itā€™s chromatic range).
Make sense. I would have preferred something different, itā€™s already great!

1 Like

Nope, itā€™s not wrong, but the octave numbering scheme isnā€™t standardized, so different devices or programs can use different schemes. Some start at C0, some at C-1, some even at C-2 for the lowest MIDI note with numeric value 0.

Thatā€™s why the MIDI note value is given in brackets. 12 => 2nd lowest octave ā€¦ :wink:

2 Likes

On the Octatrack MK2, can you use a MIDI keyboard to play/preview the slices and input them on the gride while holding down a step? Like on the A4
And does it register the velocity too?
Assuming the midi keyboard is transmitting over the auto channel.
Thx!

Edit:
Apparently yes! Since 1.4:
ā€œFor tracks configured to play slices or slots when receiving MIDI note data, holding a trig in GRID RECORDING mode while receiving a MIDI note now locks the same slice/slot that is played to the held trig.ā€œ

Great!
So does is record the velocity too? Velocity -> sample gain I assume

1 Like