Triggering slices with midi notes?

Very cool!
i got an RK002 too. Is it possible to download this script?
I don‘t know how to script this on my RK002.

greets

Sure, search Octatrack Sample Slice Trigger here :

1 Like

RK002 CAS (“Cable Acquisition Syndrome”) ACTIVATED.
Merci :heart:

2 Likes

Hey @sezare56 , what is the latency like when you trigger slices from a controller the RK-002 ? Is it really noticeable ?

As long as crossfader’s CC48 is used, latency is not noticeable, with any midi processor.

Btw with Slice’s CC17 only, samples are played without latency, but slices values are not changed quickly enough. You have to delay the note (around 17ms) if you want it to be played with the right slice number

2 Likes

Thanks for all the in depth discussion here. The slice selection via midi lag has been a real killer for what I’m trying to do. And I can’t use the Scene workaround because I use scenes so much for composition.

Just curious, is the handling of CC17 any faster on the MK II? I know the firmware is the same as MKI but was wondering if maybe you can get away with a smaller latency between CC17 and the MIDI note to trigger on MKII. I have a MKI.

And while I’m in the realm of new gear… does anyone know if the Digitakt handles sample start point modulation via CC in a less or non-laggy way than the OT?

If you have an MKII, make a test!
IIRC minimum latency is 17 ms with MKI (slice mode off, or odd midi values), otherwise it can be longer.

I can make a test, I had a DT recently. Lfo on start wasn’t working properly with AR and MS (wrong start timing, between whole values).
I guess CC sample slot selection works with AR/DT/MS…

@Chorist So I made a test with DT, 30 samples chain, midi loopback.
Seems laggy too. Works with an additional trigless CC on start before. I don’t know what’s the lag time.
Maybe workarounds, I received my DT a few days ago.

I just have a 1, not a 2. :slight_smile:

Thanks for checking with the DT. Elektron, give us start points via MIDI notes!

And sample slots control too. Impossible with OT, doesn’t seem to work properly with DT.
Elektron is good for plocks only apparently.:content:

An MPC, Beat Squeezer, Blackbox…?

Did you ever find out if this was possible?, I don’t need the sequencer transport and cues and track select midi commands and always trigger them by mistake on my keyboard

No more mistakes
1337773456_70961

2 Likes

Hi all,
Would the new launchpad pro be suitable for this purpose natively?
Custom mode to map a CC OR note to a pad

Depends on what you mean with natively but I think all LPPros can do it.
@qlamerand may shime in…

Hi there, yeah sorry wasn’t clear, I mean without another unit in the chain to translate for the octatrack

The retro kits cable for example, or any other midi processing unit

So basically just the any given single pad on the launchpad triggering an assigned individual slice

No, because you need to use a CC with a value matching the slice you want to play + wait a little bit + a note value (as explained in the thread above).

1 Like

Thank you, yeah I did think so having read through but hoped I was wrong! The RK cable seems like the solution for me then

With the RK002 (I made / tested the original script with Retrokits help), any gear with midi din and midi power can be used. LPPro can be programed, I’m pretty sure it can do it standalone after.

2 Likes

Thanks, so you think then that this functionality is possible with just the lpp and octa - but perhaps with some programming beyond what novation’s own custom mapping will allow? Sorry, if I misunderstand.