Triggering slices with midi notes?

I will be using a keyoard but haven’t purchased yet. I will likely buy the Event Processor+ and theykeyboard together. Will your method work with any keyboard or is there a particular one I should look out for ?

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/71nGAtbQzVL.SL1500.jpg
I’d recommend mine, Korg Taktile 49, because it has a sync arp. There’s a midi in to receive Ot’s clock. 2 banks of 16 pads to control slices synced, quantized. I can use keys too, 2 octave pitch control, pitch bend…8 knobs, 8 faders, buttons for scenes, Touch pad with arp + CCs…
There’s no aftertouch on TK49.
I’m hesitating to do this (I’d plug the keyboard with vga sub) :

Any midi controller sending notes or CCs with keys or pads should work. A Lauchpad with 64 pads can be interesting too.

1 Like

The Taktile looks sweet. I don’t have the space nor the budget for that right now. Maybe down the road I will go for that. My needs for the moment is something small and compact that I can throw into a bag with the octatrack. I was thinking more along the lines of one of these.

or even something simpler like the likes of this

Those cheaper things are usb. You need midi din.
I paid my brand new tk49 170€. Here’s the little brother.

Would one of these bad boys sort out the the issue with no midi din ?

There is someone in my area selling the Akai MPK at a good price in my area. The smaller tactile would be more suited to my set up so am seriously thinkign of that as well.

Maybe. That’s your problem, midi mate ! :wink:

if you would like to record incoming velocity, of a midi note, it is possible to re-rig the OT midi sequencer side to control the 8 track sampler side, somehow, read it sometime ago on Elektron Users.

What do you mean exactly ?
The audio tracks doesn’t seem to receive velocity informations. With Ep+ you can map velocity to VOL.

No, the audio tracks don’t receive velocity information

But the Midi tracks do, and they receive length of note also. And they will record it.

somehow the workaround involves sequencing the audio track with a midi track,

take a midi lead from the OT Midi Out to Midi In.

and then somehow record incoming midi notes from a keyboard to the midi track

but this would require two midi inputs on the OT, or a midi merger device

or maybe a tricky usage of midi thru

the way the midi track records velocity input is immediately translated to a volume p-lock if i remember correctly, and the length of note is achieved by a p-lock note-on and note-off, if recording incoming information from a midi keyboard whilst in realtime recording mode on the OT.

Considering the topic, are you talking about triggering slices with Ot’s midi tracks ?

yeah maybe haha not sure.
talking about playing a Midi external keyboard into the Octatrack Midi input, note and velocity and length information received/able-to-record via a Octatrack Midi Track …

then going via lead from Octatrack Midi Out to the midi keyboard’s Midi In and then from the midi keyboard’s Midi Thru by lead to the Octatrack’s Midi In.

recordable sequenceable realtime play of slots or slices via midi keyboard, recording the velocity and so forth.

could be fun to explore

this topic has some useful information generally:
https://www.reddit.com/r/Elektron/comments/48nd8d/octatrack_question_can_you_tapplay_drum_parts_in/

1 Like

Picked up the baby Korg Taktile today for €100 on your advice. You’re right , it’s a lovely keyboard. The EP+ is next on the shopppig list and I’m sorted !!!

1 Like

Back to triggering slices. :thup:

I don’t if it has been mentioned, I noticed today from my test that slices were more responsive to odd CC17 numbers (values) :
Even numbers : 61 ms delay needed
Odd numbers : 17 ms delay needed
17 ms needed for Start too, Slice mode off.

Still no latency with CC48.

I’m working on a poly chromatic granular engine using slices and C5-C7 for pitch. 128 notes per track, using Rate for low notes and Length for high notes.
Midipal to split channels and play with a keyboard on 8 tracks at the same time ! :loopy:

5 Likes

Not sure with several tracks, but I had very efficient results with one track.
32 first notes t (0-35) triggering and choosing slices, other notes playing them with higher pitch, shorter Length (divided by 2 for octave up)
Choosing slices with 0-32, playing them with the rest of the keyboard…
Pissing in a river…

Hello,

I’ve successfully used CC17 to alternate between slices that I had for flex machine in slot 1 for T1 (C3). However, when I try to trigger slices for flex machine in slot 5 for T5 (C4), or really any of the other slots/tracks, then I’m not getting any response. Is there another CC value I need to trigger to change between them? Also, where in the manual did you see that CC17 is used for slice values? I am seeing “Playback param #2

Playback parameter #2 is Start/Slice. Nothing else. APPENDIX C of the manual.
Slot number doesn’t matter.
You are sending wrong note for Track 5, APPENDIX C.

What are you using as midi device ? Do you send Cc48 and CC17 before note ?
Otherwise it won’t work well.

Thanks for the reply. I’ve set Track 5 Note to C4 on the MIDI Note page for T5.

Controlling via Cirklon. I am not using CC48. What is CC48 for? I have CC17 being set at least a couple of steps before the note is triggered.

BTW, Appendix C says Playback Param # 2 is Velocity in my manual. Using Octatrack MKII, not sure if there is a difference there.

MKI os is the same.

Midi tracks settings are not related to audio tracks. Notes to trigger tracks are in Appendix C.
T1 is C(36).

There are 2 CC list. You want to control Slices, so check audio track CC list.

You need to read the thread too. CC48 is crossfader’s CC48. It doesn’t work properly without it. You need CC17 only if you want to record slices values.
So you can automatically send CCs before each note with CIRKLON ?
You want to sequence slices with Cirklon only?
Record them in Ot ? Sample the result?

1 Like

Hi, Thanks.

I am not recording anything on OT. Simply using the OT to store slices and triggering them via MIDI on a Cirklon track/pattern. When I do as the 2nd poster said, I am able to properly trigger the slices on the OT (changing the CC17 value with a Cirklon Event at some point in between triggering MIDI Note C3 each time) and this sounds perfectly fine.

However, this only works for my slices on the sample in T1 on the OT. I also have separate samples with their own slices in T2,T3,T5,T6,T7,T8. Respectively, I have assigned MIDI Notes D3, E3, C4, D4, E4, F4. So when set CC17 to 0 again for SL1 in T5 and then trigger C4, nothing comes out.

Not sure what I am missing here.

I read some posters using CC48 for the fader, but I don’t think that applies in my case, unless I’m mistaken.

1 Like