Triggering slices with midi notes?

Thank you for replying, hope it was a good day.

I’ve had a look through the launchpad’s programmer’s guide and not getting the info I hoped, would you have any advice on where to look if I was to try and do this myself?

1 Like

Big party I hope. :content:

CC17 or CC48? Doesn’t work with CC17 only.

It definitely works with consecutive CC48+Note, or CC17+CC48+Note if you want to record slices. Can’t tell about LPP, should work, because it worked with at least 3 of my midi processors, MPC 1000.

2 Likes

Ok I finally found the code I worked on (it was on bitbucket, not github). You’re right it’s only CC17 I was sending. But wait a minute, isn’t CC48 for the crossfader? Do you mean you have to set two scenes with Slice 1 on the left and Slice 64 on the right?
Unfortunately I don’t I have my OT anymore to test it. I mean it, I never should have sold it (for the second time !!!).

Exactly.

:scream:

3 Likes

Weeell well, update 1.4 finally did it huh, after all these years :stuck_out_tongue:

6 Likes

Yeah, that’s such a big one! Endless workaround discussions in this and the previous forum, and now it just works out of the box, unbelievable! Case closed, thanks Elektron.

4 Likes

Bye thread.

hmm, I’ve been reading the new manual with the updated OS and I still can’t figure it out… :face_vomiting: I must be tripping…

I got it!
So their manual is wrong. The slices start triggering at C-1! (C minus 1)
NOT C-0!!

“MIDI” - “CONTROL” - “AUDIO NOTE IN” - select map/track
Then exit.
hold “MIDI” + “UP/DOWN” to enter map mode.

1 Like

Unfortunately, I think C0 is not uniformly defined across MIDI devices

5 Likes

Why? :smile:
Well, OP should precise it is possible to start from 1.40 release post!

1 Like

I discussed and hoped different mappings, but Elektron team decision concerning Slices notes was apparently focused on Analog Rytm note range, from C0 for OT (C1 for AR, start of it’s chromatic range).
Make sense. I would have preferred something different, it’s already great!

1 Like

Nope, it’s not wrong, but the octave numbering scheme isn’t standardized, so different devices or programs can use different schemes. Some start at C0, some at C-1, some even at C-2 for the lowest MIDI note with numeric value 0.

That’s why the MIDI note value is given in brackets. 12 => 2nd lowest octave … :wink:

2 Likes

On the Octatrack MK2, can you use a MIDI keyboard to play/preview the slices and input them on the gride while holding down a step? Like on the A4
And does it register the velocity too?
Assuming the midi keyboard is transmitting over the auto channel.
Thx!

Edit:
Apparently yes! Since 1.4:
“For tracks configured to play slices or slots when receiving MIDI note data, holding a trig in GRID RECORDING mode while receiving a MIDI note now locks the same slice/slot that is played to the held trig.“

Great!
So does is record the velocity too? Velocity -> sample gain I assume

1 Like

No velocity recording. Possible with a midi processor. Recorded as a VOL plock.

feature-request@elektron.se

1 Like

Bien, merci beaucoup mon ami

1 Like

I hit this wall today, after a decade with OT, I was not aware of the slices problem with midi CC latency.

Why dont I use the 1.40 slice midi mode?
Because in my pattern I’m triggering slices from different sample slots :crazy_face:
Therefore, I was trying this on midi sample slot mode, sending cc for slices.

Not possible, via midi :sad:

Focus on working with limitations! (I’m telling myself) Or is there a solution I’m missing?

Possible with CC48 (crossfader).

How many slices / slots ?

Not that many, not that big of a deal.
It’s a simple breakbeat. For one specific hit, I grabbed a slice from another breakbeat (it really tied the beat together).

I will simply work only with my original breakbeat, replace that hit. In the future, while preparing samples, I might put 2 or 4 breakbeats on the same file (same sample slot) so that I can grab stuff from different breaks with midi.

It’s a lesson learned (one more with the OT, it doesn’t get old)

That’s what I was thinking about, asking for the number of slices / slots.
Another approach is to plock slices, or add an lfo on slices, and play different slots…

More obvious at around 2m15s in the video.