Triggering PTNs on the Digitone via Ableton Live

Hi everyone,

I’ve been preparing a live set with Ableton Live (Mac) and my Digitone Keys connected via Overbridge. I have various MIDI clips whose note values are being sent to my Digi Keys, which then sends audio to different channels in Live.

Here lies my issue: I want to setup my Live session so that select MIDI clips or scenes will trigger a different PTN on the Digitone, so that I can instantly change the sound of all four Digitone tracks when I trigger a new scene. I looked at the MIDI CC messages in the manual, but even after setting each MIDI channel in Live to trigger the corresponding PTN via the ‘envelopes’ tab, it just won’t trigger.

Has anybody had a similar issue? I’m wondering if this may be a problem with Overbridge? Feel free to let me know, I’m totally at a loss! Thanks so much for reading. Cheers!

You can change Elektron machines patterns with Program Changes, or from what I read with notes (only Overbridge I don’t use).

AFAIK not with CC messages.

Sorry, forgot to clarify - I was using Program changes and I would assume I was also using AFAIK? Just got my terms mixed up :slight_smile: thanks for your reply!

So pattern change works?
And your problem is to trigger them?
No sync with Ableton?

To start a pattern you need to send START midi message. To trigger it each time from the beginning, you have to send STOP + START (+Prog Change).

Maybe you’d need some midi processing with MAX MSP or else.
I don’t use Ableton nor Max.

When using Overbridge you need to send notes on Channel 16 to change patterns. They start at the lowest key and progress up through 128 notes/patterns.

If not using Overbridge you use program change messages.

Digitone will only change to a new pattern when the current pattern has finished playing.

My free Pattern Clips device can help simplify things if you have Max for Live.

4 Likes

Wow thank you so much - your Max patch did the trick!! It’s working flawlessly with both my Digi and Ableton. Thanks again!!

2 Likes

You’re welcome and I’m happy it works for you :wink: