Triggering DT audio tracks via DT MIDI tracks to get polyphony

I’ve watched this demo by @z1v showing how to get polyphony out of the DT dozens of times and just don’t get how this works.

Essentially, 4 audio track sounds are being triggered by a midi track, in the demo if he hits the trigger, it cycles through the 4 audio track samples and if he sets the track to Chromatic mode, polyphony happens.

Here’s the demo @08:29

Doing it just as he does produces no result.

I googled around and saw one comment on this forum about simply connecting the MIDI in of the DT to it’s own MIDI out, that at least started triggering sounds… but I note that in the video, he isn’t even using a MIDI cable, so I think I’m going about it the wrong way.

Any help would be massively appreciated. Cheers!

1 Like

Jump back to the 7 mins point and note that he says he’s using a Bome midi box. You either need one of those or a retrokits midi cable. It’s also possible with Ableton and a max for live device. It’s not possible with just the DT.

3 Likes

Ahhhh right! There’s a USB connected to, my bad. Ok, time to search this forum about Bome… curious about what else it can do.

There’s also a MIDI script included in Mozaic, an iOS app, that will do this. And you can also create a patch on the Zoia to do it.

Basically, you end up having to think of each DigiTakt track as one “voice” of a polyphonic instrument. It’s very fun.

2 Likes

If you have Ableton Live with Max For Live you can also try this:

1 Like

Hi! I see others have answered (thanks!) I’ll just add that my current favorite for all forms of MIDI hacking is a box called “midi hub” by Blokas (you use its dispatcher pipe for this)

4 Likes