Triggering an Envelope with audio threshold?

Hi,

I was wondering about how envelopes are triggered, if they always happen at a TRIG event or if there was an option to have them go off at a threshold value.

Negative- not within A4 by itself. Though, maybe with some external midi envelope?

That would be interesting. A midi envelope that is triggered by the threshold of a certain sound. Hmmmmmm

Perhaps you could p-lock the envelope settings? Or maybe apply the envelope to aftertouch? (I think that’s something you could do-if you’re playing it?)

Well, this is how any noise gate works, or an Electro Harmonix Bass Synthesizer pedal, it really shouldn’t be a MIDI event that starts every envelope, they should have the ability to be listening for a musical signal rather than everything listening only for a Trig really. Just a simple toggle per Envelope, per Voice should be fine.

For example in use, let’s say there is a long attack on a pad, and you’ve got an envelope running, well, that envelope is going to be doing nothing during the long attack unless it is also dialed with a long attack. (with some exceptions probably)

So, an option to toggle how an envelope may be used will expand the sonic pallette on the Analog Four, with no processing penalty, since the envelope engine already exists. I guess the hard(est) part would be to ensure backward compatibility?

At any rate, envelopes should not be hard wired to a Trig event, with no other option. that’s a mistake in my opinion. This synth is a real beast, and if you could add just one toggle to unleash it even more without causing crashes, isn’t it worth it? Ok, a toggle and a dial for threshold sensitivity I suppose.

Maybe just one of the Envelopes could have it.