Trigger DT Live rec [quantized or not] from Ableton

Hello,

I’m using Ableton to create midi patterns and I’m now at the step where I’d like to transfert them to the digitakt using quantized/unquantized live rec.

My issue is that I have to manually sync the moment where I press play in ableton in order to record them to the DT, it sort of works for quantized recording but unquantized ends up not being on the good place.

I’m wondering if it’s any way to start recording on the DT as I press play (or any other button) in Ableton. That would greatly improve my workflow as I have already “mapped” the different DT banks to the different ableton patterns so I just need to record it all now.

Any input greatly appreciated

gastonn

I think i just figured it out, as, if you are pressing record without releasing the buttons on the DT then you press play on Ableton the DT witll start record the sequence at 1st step. I didn’t know this trick of keeping buttons pressed with one hand while you press play with the other in ableton was a thing.

2 Likes

Hi, I’ve never heard of anyone doing that, having to hold the physical button while it is cued from the daw before midi signal is sent to the hardware, and if it works for you that’s great, but is it necessary? It sounds like a workaround that may be unnecessary - are you connected with standard midi or overbridge?

I haven’t tried with DT to be clear, but with most gear normally you would set up the MMC on the device to be triggered as slave and daw set as MMC master and the sync should take care of itself, am I wrong?

1 Like

Hello shigginpit, thank you for taking the time to reply.
Actually, i’m connected through USB, not using overbridge at all. I was looking for the Midi Machine Control to be used to achieve that but I cannot figure out which one to use and there is not any cc on the DT midi cc list that is labelled as something that could allow me to do that.

I assume that I already have DT playing (as slave) when Ableton plays (as master). Could you mayhaps point me any ressource/tutorial on how to send the message that will activate the recording on the DT as per my understanding of your answer it would just require an empty midi track file with an enveloppe using correct CC value to send this information. I’d definitely like to try that.

To sum up: I just need to figure out which midi CC to use and I cannot figure that out.

Hi, first can I confirm the settings you are using inside DT?
In settings > sync:
is clock receive, prog change receive both checked?
In Port config:
have you tried with both turbo speed disabled / enabled?
is input set to midi+usb or usb?
is receive notes box checked for yes?
is receive cc/nrpn box checked for yes?
is param output set as cc? (is ableton receiving cc or nrpn when you are pressing the record and holding on digitakt before pressing play in ableton?)
in channels menu:
if program change IN CH is set to auto, have you tried to set a specific channel and match it to the channel you’ve set it up with in ableton?
PROGRAM CHG IN CH selects the MIDI channel that will listen for incoming program change messages. An AUTO setting will use the AUTO channel, I believe auto channel is by default set to 10? Digitakt should be already config to respond to program change messages from the MIDI SYNC menu.

in the system portion of the settings menu, under usb configuration is this set for usb or is it set for usb audio/midi? maybe have you tried both to see if it makes a difference?

if these things are all set try using cc 20 shown on the midi appendix of (I think pg 83?) DT user manual. You can also reference the midi cc value guide there if it is more helpful.

Not sure if I have any other good info sorry.

Are you doing this in live recording mode or grid recording mode of the digitakt?

1 Like

this isn’t possible … you can’t remotely activate recording

1 Like

Thank you for taking the time to reply, thats what I though, I found workaround as mentioned in my initial post self-reply. It makes sense that it’s not possible as there are not much use cases where this would come handy.
Kind regads

2 Likes

I think I gave my elektron devices too much credit, I’m sorry for misleading you on this.

1 Like

@sezare56 has found a cool workaround using PREROLL:

2 Likes

To be confirmed with DT ! :content:

Already confirmed with DT :wink:

2 Likes